IC20 for a 37,000 Gallon Pool? Why?

Jun 14, 2018
Hot Springs, AR
I had a pool service company install an SWG last year for my pool. We had just bought the home and I had never owned a pool before.

He installed a Pentair IC20.

My pool is 37,000 gallons.

I run the SWG and pump virtually 24/7 during the summer and I still get algae every week or so that requires a few gallons of chlorine to knock out.

After a year of learning, I now realize maybe he used an under-sized SWG?

Should I bit the bullet and buy an IC40 or even IC60 for this pool?

And if so, are all three SWG Pentair models the same length? To avoid cutting and fitting PVC.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, that is very undersized. We recommend 2-3x pool size for an SWG. An IC-60 is definitely the one for your pool.

I don't know if the IC-20 is the same length or not. The 40 and 60 are the same.

Even with an IC60 you’re going to have to run the pumps and SWG for at least 12 hrs/day. That’s a lot.

CircuPool makes a high output SWG that produces over 3lbs of chlorine gas per day. By contrast the IC60 produces about 2lbs per day. If you don’t have the Pentair EasyTouch automation system and are just doing a stand-alone SWG, then look at CircuPool. It’s the better option for stand alone installs.

Even with an IC60 you’re going to have to run the pumps and SWG for at least 12 hrs/day. That’s a lot.

CircuPool makes a high output SWG that produces over 3lbs of chlorine gas per day. By contrast the IC60 produces about 2lbs per day. If you don’t have the Pentair EasyTouch automation system and are just doing a stand-alone SWG, then look at CircuPool. It’s the better option for stand alone installs.

Thank you. I checked their website and they also have an adapter kit for those with current Pentairs. And they are on sale for $750. Not bad.

Thank you. I checked their website and they also have an adapter kit for those with current Pentairs. And they are on sale for $750. Not bad.

Yes. CircuPool has a good line of SWGs and very helpful tech/customer support. If I wasn’t so invested in Pentair equipment, CircuPool would be my very next choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.