IC:40 better to do 40% for 12 hrs or 60% for 8 hrs?

Liz315

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2020
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I dialed in at running my ic40 at 40% while running my pump for 12 hrs. Single speed pump. I just realized pool math has the calculator for the swg and setting it at 60% running the pump for 8 hrs produces the same amount of chlorine, 2.2.
is it better to run it at 40% for 12 hrs because the swg cell will last longer or should I run at 60% for 8 hrs because it’s less electricity and will save the motor wear and tear?

thanks,
Liz

Does not matter to the SWCG. Only generating time counts. So if your pump is running 12 hours anyway, might as well have chlorine generating the entire time.

So I dialed in at running my ic40 at 40% while running my pump for 12 hrs. Single speed pump. I just realized pool math has the calculator for the swg and setting it at 60% running the pump for 8 hrs produces the same amount of chlorine, 2.2.
is it better to run it at 40% for 12 hrs because the swg cell will last longer or should I run at 60% for 8 hrs because it’s less electricity and will save the motor wear and tear?

thanks,
Liz

I don’t think the SWCG cares as both are equivalent. Your pump will consume more electricity and have more wear, so depends more on how long you already run it.

Coming 7/18/21 any wear to your pump that can’t be repaired will require you to get a VSP replacement (Energy Conservation Program: Energy Conservation Standards for Dedicated-Purpose Pool Pump Motors, Notice of Request for Direct Final Rule)

So it’s a brand new pump and I could run my pump only 8 hrs, but if u guys think it’s better for the 12 hrs I’ll keep it at 40%.

I’m no expert on SWG, but my understanding is If you run your SWCG at 40% for 12h, 60% for 8h or 100% for 4h36min the amount of chlorine generated is the same, so would be the wear.

Reactions: mknauss
in regards to the pump though. Running a pump 8 hrs a day is a lot less than 12 hrs.

Reactions: AK-
in regards to the pump though. Running a pump 8 hrs a day is a lot less than 12 hrs.
Once the pump has run long enough to make the chlorine your pool needs each day, the rest of the time is to skim the surface or simple personal preference.

A 1hp single speed pump will consume somewhere around 850Wh. I don’t know where in NJ you are, so I’ll assume the same $0.13/KWh I pay to JCPL. The extra 4 hours on a season with 120 days would cost you a little over $53. If your pumps consumes more (let’s say a 1 1/2hp or a 2hp pump) or your electricity is more expensive (PSEG for example) that gets higher pretty quickly. The wear of running 12h will be about 50% more than running for 8h (mechanical wear is not the only factor on how long a pump will last).

I know above replies already talked about the total chlorine generated would be the same in both setting you asked.

40% for 12 hrs or 60% for 8 hrs or 20% for 24 hrs.​

You will have a more even level of the chlorine in your pool the longer you generate, to make matters simple, assume you will have a steady burn off / consumption rate.

Pump runs much more efficiently at low speed, so not calculate the electricity cost and wear and tear on the pump, the longer generation option is better.

It is like you can eat one 2000 calories meals a day or spread out to five 400 calories smaller meals. You take the same amount of calories, but your blood sugar level is different over the 24 hours period.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You all are great thanks, even with this one question you helped me understand so much more. I’ll stay at 40% 12 hrs unless my electric bill looks too high. I really should have insisted on the vs pump my pool builder insisted I did not need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.