Ibexx Heater LP5 Error/ Too High Pressure/ Returns Not Running

Aug 3, 2017
Berlin, NJ
Hi everyone,
Wondering if I can get some advice with a new pool. I just bought a new house with an in-ground pool in the backyard. I've never had anything but an Intex temporary above-ground pool, so I am a bit overwhelmed. The new pool has a massive sand filter, an Ibexx heater, and a salt chlorine generator. It's a vinyl in-ground, if that helps. Not sure the size but it's not overly big. Irregularly shaped.

The previous owners seem to have closed off all the valves before they left. I'm not sure why they did that, but it threw me for a loop for a while. I was exploring the system today, and I managed to (I think) get all the valves properly opened. However, the heater kicks on and then throws an LP5 error within 30 seconds. Also, the previous owners left an instruction manual that says the filter should run at 14-16 PSI, and be backwashed at 20-24 PSI. It's running at 20 PSI and backwashing doesn't seem to do anything to change that (I have backwashed, and had to add water as a result). Another thing going is not all of the returns are active: some are running beautifully with good pressure, and others are not returning anything at all.

I don't understand how the heater could have low pressure when the filter is running higher than it apparently should, and I don't see any other valves or anything that needs to be opened at this point. The pool was inspected by a pool inspector before purchase of the house, and no issues were reported.

Can anyone give me any advice on things to try? Should I just call for service?

Some more info:

There are valves on pipes labeled:
1. Waterfall- simple enough, controls the water feature. Got this one squared away.
2. Returns- two pipes go into this junction, but it seems the valve has to be turned 180 degrees for fully open. I think I have this set right.
3. Main Drain- When closed the filter makes an awful racket. I have this open.
4. Deep Skimmer/Shallow Skimmer- Two pipes with the aforementioned labels go into this junction. Turning it one way or the other doesn't seem to change anything, but if it's in between, the filter makes a racket, so I have left it at what I think is open, pointed toward Deep Skimmer.
5. There is a waste line that comes out of the filter and goes underground. Where it stops, I have no clue.

Post pics of your equipment pad, all your equipment, and where we can see the valve positions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.