Memorial Villages, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
Yet another Texan with a non-closed pool riding out the big freeze...

I drained my waterfall pump and left my main circulation pump running in freeze protect mode. It's mostly working as expected, but have noticed the following issues/areas for improvement:

-At night and outside of direct sunlight, my iAqualink air temperature gage seems accurate (within ~2 degrees of the nearest weather station and the exterior temperature reading of my HVAC system). However, it gets direct southern sunlight and is currently reading an air temperature of 50 degrees! (vs ~28 degrees actual). My freeze protect has switched off, although my pump is still running according to its regular schedule. I've noticed similar behavior during the summer (when direct sunlight hits the gage, it can read 10-15 degrees high). Is this typical behavior for these Jandy temp gages, or should I look at replacing mine? Should I try shielding it from direct sunlight for better performance?

-The low/mid/high speeds on my VS pump are controlled via iAqualink relays. iAqualink thinks its a two-speed pump (low and mid speeds), and then high speed is controlled by a separate relay (which is interlocked so that it cannot turn on unless the Filter Pump relay is on). Freeze protect turns on only the Filter Pump relay. This is fine - however, the low speed relay continues to click on and off according to its regular schedule. I'd prefer to lock out low speed when the pump is in Freeze Protect mode, but I can't find a way to do this in the iAqualink programming. Different features/relays can be turned on whilst in Freeze Protect, but I can't figure out how to lock them out instead. Does anyone know if this is possible? If not, the workaround might be to turn on the High Speed relay when in Freeze Protect mode. But would prefer to just have it run continuously at mid speed while in freeze protect mode.

Should I try shielding it from direct sunlight for better performance?

Yes, move the air temperature sensor into a location that is always in shade.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If not, the workaround might be to turn on the High Speed relay when in Freeze Protect mode. But would prefer to just have it run continuously at mid speed while in freeze protect mode.

No, Freeze Mode does not know about your relay hack. You need to setup the relays so Freeze Mode goes into the speed you want.

Thanks - if iAqualink cannot lock out items while Freeze Protect is active, the best workaround will probably be to have "High Speed" turn on as one of the Freeze Protect items.

I'll look into shading the sensor. I did notice that the sensor temperature only diverged from actual air temp for about ~3 hours in the middle of the day yesterday (when the pump is running anyways, regardless of freeze protect status), so the temperature error shouldn't endanger the equipment in my case.

PG - I'm home now and can babysit the equipment, but I want the Freeze Protect to work automatically in case a freeze hits while I'm away on business (unfortunately, my wife and children have zero interest in learning how to operate and maintain the pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.