I was loving my mid 80 degree water until tonight

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Until I noticed one green spot then another and etc.
Chlorine level was around 3 and clear last night :)
Didn't test before throwing in about 6 pds of shock, kids wanted to have a party Friday so Hopefully I can knock it out fast and re-adjust

I have been better about watching it so should have caught it in time.

3 ppm is pretty much cutting it pretty close in terms of letting your chlorine level fall so low that algae is invited to the party. Why do you run your chlorine so low? What is your CYA level? And why are you using "shock" (product) instead of liquid chlorine?

Yeah, that granular "shock" product just either raised your CYA or your Calcium level. Lets hope its your calcium level if you're dealing with algae 'cause otherwise you just raised the bar for how much FC is necessary to kill the algae.

See this --> FC/CYA Levels

Liquid chlorine is the only thing you need to be using, for all your chlorine needs.

Maddie :flower:

It has been that low for a month and crystal clear but water temp went from 74 to 86 in about a week so probably got behind..
My CYA was low around 30. I am waiting on my taylor kit kit form amazon ( used some points ) to verify CYA.
But only a few small spots so should clear up fast :)
I also have borates which usually allows me to keep the CH levels lower

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.