I tried, and failed.

lislmont92

Bronze Supporter
Oct 7, 2020
Leander, Texas
Hi everyone, I got home from work today and noticed my filter pump basket was filled with leaves. I turned the pump off at the breaker and also shut the cleaner pump off at the breaker (they are separate pumps and were both on due to my automatic timer) I turned both pumps back on at the braker and they are on! I can hear them running and feel them running. but my jets aren't pushing water, skimmers aren't moving water, and the cleaner vacuum isn't moving.

I was trying to help by cleaning the pump basket! But now it's apparent I did something wrong. The filter pump almost sounds like it's louder and chugging a bit.

Any ideas?

If you haven't already, go back out and shut the pumps off. Before you do, check to see if there is any Improvement and if water is flowing in the basket. The pump baskets should fill up with water under normal operation.

I don't think the pool should sit idle until then, but it might be fine. How do you chlorinate the pool (tablets, liquid, SWG)? Leaves may have dropped out of the basket and clogged the impeller or the pump lids were not seated properly causing allowing air into the system. You may need to open the air bleeder as the pumps prime to remove air from the system. If you want to give it a shot, post some pics of your pump and filter and we can walk you through it. Make sure you check the skimmer for debris and make sure the water level is where it should be.

Filter pump (labeled) and cleaner pump (labeled)

The water level in the basket of the filter pump is low, but there is some water there.

Pool water level is fine. Skimmers in pool are clean just not moving water. filter pump basket is clean too.

I think he uses liquid and tablets. Mostly chlorine tablets but I think there was a shortage so hes used liquid a few times.

Attachments

• IMG_3015.JPG
    IMG_3015.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 14
Leave the cleaner pump off and let the pool guy take care of it.

For the "filter pump," make sure the breaker is off. Remove the lid and take out the basket. Reach your hand inside the volute (housing) and swirl. Remove any debris. Reach towards the back of the housing and feel for debris or obstructions. You should feel the impeller. Make sure the housing and basket are clear. Put the basket back in with the hole facing forward. Clean the top lid mating surface and make sure the o-ring is inside the notch on the bottom of the lid. Make sure it's free of debris. Put the lid on and get it as tight as you can by hand.

You will have an air bleeder on top of the filter. If it's a Pentair filter, it will be attached to the gauge. You simply turn the base of the gauge counter clock-wise to open.

Start the pump and as water begins to enter the basket, open the air bleeder. Keep it open until the pump basket is full and water begins to shoot out the air bleed valve at the gauge. Close the air bleeder.

The pump basket should be full of water and absent of large air bubbles under normal operation.

If this is too much for you, try to find a video. Worst case scenario, you will probably be fine until Thursday. Just leave the breakers off. You don't want the pumps running dry.

Ok, did all of that. No dice. Had it running with the air bleeder open for a long time. Water never filled basket/never shot out of air bleeder.

When I turned it off, some water went back into the pump basket with some bubbles. Don't know if that's significant.

I just don't know how I messed up the system so badly with just turning them off and on. I guess I did something in the wrong order/created an issue. Everything worked 100% fine before.

Are you sure the o-ring was in the lid (see image)? You have an obstruction or air leak, probably at or before the pump basket. You'll be good until Thurs. It may help to run your brush around the pool a couple times tomorrow to circulate the water.
VS Basket.JPG

Reactions: lislmont92

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are in good hands with Rancho, but just wanted to chime in that we are seeing a ton of leaves now since spring is really our fall and the snow from a few weeks ago is not helping.

Are you sure your skimmers are clear, and the weir doors are not jammed with leaves? My guess is that leaves are blocking water to your skimmers and ultimately starving your pump.

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!! It's all up and running!!! Thank you so much for your help!! I did the same thing again and turns out I didn't open the air bleed all the way. When I did, it shot out a TON of air and then a TON of water (in my face!) Then the cleaner pump started working too and everything is running as it should.

Proud to have fixed my pool after I almost broke it. *sigh* Going to keep trying!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!

I don’t know what type of filter you have but some filters require backwashing or the flow will be diminished, which makes it hard for the pump to prime (get water flowing). If you have a sand filter, you could try backwashing it. If it’s a cartridge filter you would take the cover off and clean the filter element, or check it. It’s also possible that the O-ring is not in the groove for the lid properly and air is coming in that way. Take it off, make sure the O-ring is properly seated in the groove and try again. You can also try dumping some water into the pump housing to pre-prime it but the water level goes down quickly because it goes back into the pipes, so you have to be very quick about getting the lid back on and the pump started before that happens. You shouldn’t have to do the last thing, but I did it for years until I realized my pump was leaking.

Reactions: lislmont92
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.