I think my pool guy mistakenly added DE to the cartridge filter

Mandrake

Silver Supporter
May 26, 2016
Setauket
Hi,

I just had my pool opened yesterday, and noticed today (about 24 hours later) that my filter pressure is higher than last year, when the pool was actually more dirty at opening (as I opened later).
I saw one of the guys with the bucket with white liquid in it, but did not connect that they are probably adding D.E as they might have not realized that I have Cartridge filter.

I figure I will have to clean the filter (not fun, but doable), but I suppose there is some DE in the pool itself. Can it be filtered by the cartridge filter. If not, is there a way to test for DE in the pool?
Not to crazy about swimming in the pool if there is DE in it :-(

Thanks in advance!

I’m not even sure what to say! That is a crazy mistake to make! I guess clean the filter, then start it up again, watch for pressure rise, clean again, repeat. I don’t know of any way to test for DE.

Did you get an invoice/receipt? They generally want to be paid for everything they add so it should be listed somewhere even if its just on their end.

I did get the invoice (electronic), but it's not itemized, just the total.
As for Calcium, I highly doubt it, as that's not what they usually do at pool opening (usually, it's DE and shocking, I used to have DE filter).
My current filter is Hayward C7030 - 700 sq feet cartridge filter - the biggest I am aware of, so my pressure is always low.
Right now, with the motor speed of 2500 RPM, my pressure is around 15 psi, usually, for this speed, it would be around 8.
I am planning to clean the filter soon, and then I will find out. I think I am going to graph pressure as a function of RPM for a clean filter for future reference.

Thank you for all your replies!

M.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I converted to a cartridge filter last season and this is the first opening I am doing. Before I had a DE filter. In the past I shock, circulate for 2 days, throw in my pool robot several times and start filtering. With the DE filter it took 3-4 days of filtering before water was Crystal clear. I did the exact same process with my new cartridge filter and I have been filtering for 10 days now (I have cleaned the cartridge 3 times) and I still have cloudy water with dead algae. I even used clarifier and no help.

I have read that if you add DE to your cartridge filter it will filter finer particles like dead algae better. I am considering doing this and came across this forum. I have put the pool robot in like 12 times as well. So my question is should I add DE to my cartridge filter to remove my dead algae?

Reactions: cledee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I converted to a cartridge filter last season and this is the first opening I am doing. Before I had a DE filter. In the past I shock, circulate for 2 days, throw in my pool robot several times and start filtering. With the DE filter it took 3-4 days of filtering before water was Crystal clear. I did the exact same process with my new cartridge filter and I have been filtering for 10 days now (I have cleaned the cartridge 3 times) and I still have cloudy water with dead algae. I even used clarifier and no help.

I have read that if you add DE to your cartridge filter it will filter finer particles like dead algae better. I am considering doing this and came across this forum. I have put the pool robot in like 12 times as well. So my question is should I add DE to my cartridge filter to remove my dead algae?
Get yourself a second set of Cartridge Filters so you can swap out, and leave the dirty set in solution overnight. That way there's no downtime between cleaning.

You do not want to add DE to a regular cartridge filter. Cartridge filters will not get a boost in performance by adding DE. That applies only to sand filters. Cartridge filters already filter as much or more than a DE filter. Adding DE to a cartridge filter will just cause if to get dirty faster.

You do not want to add DE to a regular cartridge filter. Cartridge filters will not get a boost in performance by adding DE. That applies only to sand filters. Cartridge filters already filter as much or more than a DE filter. Adding DE to a cartridge filter will just cause if to get dirty faster.
And it might cause the filter to need replacement faster.

Reactions: zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.