I think my pool guy mistakenly added DE to the cartridge filter

Mandrake

May 26, 2016
Setauket
Hi,

I just had my pool opened yesterday, and noticed today (about 24 hours later) that my filter pressure is higher than last year, when the pool was actually more dirty at opening (as I opened later).
I saw one of the guys with the bucket with white liquid in it, but did not connect that they are probably adding D.E as they might have not realized that I have Cartridge filter.

I figure I will have to clean the filter (not fun, but doable), but I suppose there is some DE in the pool itself. Can it be filtered by the cartridge filter. If not, is there a way to test for DE in the pool?
Not to crazy about swimming in the pool if there is DE in it :-(

Thanks in advance!

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I’m not even sure what to say! That is a crazy mistake to make! I guess clean the filter, then start it up again, watch for pressure rise, clean again, repeat. I don’t know of any way to test for DE.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
DE in a cartridge filter will not harm it. The filter should capture the DE.

Leebo

Admin
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Are you sure it wasn’t Calcium or maybe Trichlor?

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Are you sure it wasn’t Calcium or maybe Trichlor?

Good call, and I’m wondering how much higher than normal for your filter pressure?

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Did you get an invoice/receipt? They generally want to be paid for everything they add so it should be listed somewhere even if its just on their end.

Mandrake

May 26, 2016
Setauket
I did get the invoice (electronic), but it's not itemized, just the total.
As for Calcium, I highly doubt it, as that's not what they usually do at pool opening (usually, it's DE and shocking, I used to have DE filter).
My current filter is Hayward C7030 - 700 sq feet cartridge filter - the biggest I am aware of, so my pressure is always low.
Right now, with the motor speed of 2500 RPM, my pressure is around 15 psi, usually, for this speed, it would be around 8.
I am planning to clean the filter soon, and then I will find out. I think I am going to graph pressure as a function of RPM for a clean filter for future reference.

Thank you for all your replies!

M.

Reactions: Mdragger88