I think my 2 years old Inyo pump/vgreen motor is failing

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I have noticed water around the pump but didn't think much about it. We had crazy rain every evening for as long as I can remember but now the motor is definitely louder :(

Any suggestions besides take it apart and probably replace the motor?

The Inyo boys don't think you can do it.
But if you read the comments below the video a couple of people say it is not as hard as they let on. The tough problem will be finding out what bearings you will need before taking the motor apart. I will be interested in how you make out since I have the same pump.

Reactions: markayash
Its only been on for 2 years and shouldn't have failed IMHO. Wishing I had noticed the water sooner but we have had rain all year and it sits in a low spot so didn't pay much attention

If they say don't replace it then my question will be send me a free motor :) Or at least discount it.

I started draining all the pump water out of the pump last night and will see what I can find out. really not happy a new pump had problems after 2 years when I know my water balance is spot on.

But it wasn't really the motor that failed, it was the seal that failed which caused the motor to fail. This happens no matter what motor you would have used and it is no fault of the motor manufacture. Did you replace the seal at the time you replaced the motor? What seal did you use?

Reactions: borjis
But it wasn't really the motor that failed, it was the seal that failed which caused the motor to fail. This happens no matter what motor you would have used and it is no fault of the motor manufacture. Did you replace the seal at the time you replaced the motor? What seal did you use?
It was a brand new complete pump from inyo, agree but the deal shouldn’t have failed that quick. Wish I had caught but between the rain and not expecting any pump issues didn’t notice. Love the quiet and energy savings but never had a pump have issues until it’s at least 6 or 7 years old. Not sure if it’s the brand or just bad luck

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At this point I am debating buying a new pump. I think I paid $625 for this 3 years ago and its not going to hold up I can't see spending $450 on a motor and all the other parts.

Honest thoughts? Could replace the main pump with a better one and maybe savage this one and replace the old hayward for the spa mainly for how quiet it is

I have another post and my current Inyo VS is in bad shape. Instead of spending money rebuilding it and worrying if it will hold up I am seriously debating replacing it and looking for recommendations.

28000 gallon SWG pool and has a spa with a water fall.. I ran the PL2605 at 2100 RPM and rarely change it. Usually run it between 16 and 24 hours a day, depends on tree junk and pollen.

Main concerns are quietness and semi energy efficient. No automation just 220V :)

While the IntelliFlo pumps are often recommended here if you want energy efficiency Hayward seems to beat Pentair with the new DOE energy standards.

Hayward claims, as of July 2021, their TriStar VS Series has the highest WEF in the industry at 12.9 and their TriStar XE Series has a WEF of 9.3. The intelliflo pumps have a WEF in the 6 to 7 range.

I suggest you consider a Hayward Tristar VS pump.

While the IntelliFlo pumps are often recommended here if you want energy efficiency Hayward seems to beat Pentair with the new DOE energy standards.

Hayward claims, as of July 2021, their TriStar VS Series has the highest WEF in the industry at 12.9 and their TriStar XE Series has a WEF of 9.3. The intelliflo pumps have a WEF in the 6 to 7 range.

I suggest you consider a Hayward Tristar VS pump.

Nice looking pump, is it worth paying $200 more for the 2.7hp vs 1.85?

Nice looking pump, is it worth paying $200 more for the 2.7hp vs 1.85?

If you have a simple pool with no spa or water features then the 1.85 HP should be fine.

That is more HP then your current V-Green pump.

If you have a simple pool with no spa or water features then the 1.85 HP should be fine.

That is more HP then your current V-Green pump.
I have a attached spa with a waterfall. The 1.65 old one worked but wasn't sure if a stronger motor would last longer etc.
Thanks in advance, bought cheap the first time not saying that's why it failed just want the best this time :)

The TriStar VS 1.85 HP has a Weighted Energy Factor (WEF) for 115V = 12.9 and 230V = 8.3. The higher the WEF, the more efficient the pump.

The TriStar VS 2.7 HP has a Weighted Energy Factor (WEF) for 115V = 10.1 and 230V = 7.3.

But look at the performance data on Haywards website.

At 40% the 2.7 pump is running 51 GPM into 10 ft head while the 1.85 HP runs 29 GPM. So you get better WEF with the 1.85 with a lower flow. If you crank down the 2.7 pump to the 29 GPM the energy used is likely similar between pumps.

Once you say you have a spa and waterfall I would spend the extra $200 and get the 2.7 pump. You can see you get greater flow at a given % output with the 2.7 pump.

1628213010460.png

Thanks Allen, going to order it tonight.
Amazon has a Hayward store, going to make sure it’s sold from Hayward and if so they have the best price.
Luckily I have a few gallons of liquid CL so can watch and keep my levels up

I would not use WEF to compare pump efficiencies. It will lead to the wrong conclusion. Because of the way WEF is defined, larger pumps always have lower WEF even though they are more efficient at the same flow rate. It is nearly always advantageous to go with a larger THP VS pump for both noise and efficiency.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.