I think it’s pollen....

Hammie702

Jun 14, 2019
Cleburne, TX
So my husband and I bought a new house in January. We were so excited about getting a pool. When we first started trying to get it ready for summer we had to drain it because it’s ph was less than 6.5. It was basically a vat of acid. So we finally got it up to a perfect 7.4. Our chlorine level was nonexistent so we kept shocking it but it never worked. We bought a new filter and it was running perfectly everything was great. My neighbors on each side of me have pecan trees. They are heavy pollinating trees. I was vacuuming the other day and since I have a vinyl liner pool my vacuum has a brush on the end (it’s what was recommended by the pool place). There is this yellow stuff at the bottom when I try to go over it dusts up and the settles back down. I can’t get it to vacuum out. So I have started adding some chemicals and nothing is helping 106541before clarifying with pollen control
106542 After adding.It looks no better and now my water is cloudy.
106543 These are my levels as of Wednesday. I am getting stressed and I am having a hard time convincing my husband not to fill in the pool. What can I do?

Welcome to the forum!
You have algae. To eradicate it, you need to SLAM Process. To SLAM, you need a proper test kit. Read Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF100 XL from TFTestkits.net.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / bleach (plain, no scent, not splashless, no Cloromax) to your pool each evening with the pump running. Use PoolMath to determine how much bleach that is to add.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Can I use powder shock? I know the calculations for that... I have no idea how to work that pool math thing I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out and I can’t. I found an article that says 1/8 cup of bleach for every 100 gallons. So that puts my math at about 17 cups of bleach. My pool is 13,500 gallons.

No you should not use powdered chlorine because it is going to either add calcium or stabilizer in addition to the chlorine which could potentially be making your problems worse. Try using the old pool math website that you can find a link to at the bottom of this page

In Poolmath, put the volume of your pool at the top. Put 0 in NOW and 5 in TARGET for FC. Change the % to what you are using, if household bleach, that is typically 6%. The resultant number of oz is to the left.

I put your information into Poolmath. You need 140 oz of 6% bleach to add 5 ppm FC to your 13500 gallon pool.

Just a headup again.
As the others suggested, buy your own kit. Reading many things here, I have came to the conclusion to never trust store results.
Buying your own kit will make you feel more responsible and you will learn to maintain your pool.

If you have it set to 4 FC, put in 9 FC as your goal and it will tell you what to add to up your FC by 5ppm.

Folks around here don’t have a lot of trust in the testing done by pool stores. You don’t know what methods they’re using. $70-$100 to buy a test kit, save hundreds every month not buying the chemicals the pool store wants you to buy. :)

As they said, I am ignoring the pool store tests. They are not accurate nor reliable. I am guiding you to add some chlorine each day to stay in a holding pattern until your obtain a proper test kit.

As they said, I am ignoring the pool store tests. They are not accurate nor reliable. I am guiding you to add some chlorine each day to stay in a holding pattern until your obtain a proper test kit.
Chlorine or bleach ? If she has been adding chlorine with CYA in it ? Wont that make it worse?

EDIT : My bad, bleach is already being used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get liquid chlorine from big box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's, though you want to check and make sure it's not too old (chlorine degrades with time). Otherwise, any bleach that A) states what concentration it is (typically 6% or 10%), B) isn't too old, C) isn't Clorox, D) doesn't have additives/scents/etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.