Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Once upon a time many moons ago I installed Ethernet cabling for a living. The boy has been asking for GB hardwire connection for some time now so I figured if I can get him to do all the hard work, I can give him a hard line and also put one in the theater. He's in the basement so his wireless has always been poor. So I had him do all the grunt work, I did the terminations and ran 2 GB outlets (his room and the theater). Both outlets worked perfect first time! Woo Hoo! Still got it! Now I need to order a switch for the theater so the Blueray player, FireTV, receiver and Xbox/Wii can all have a hard connection. Very happy to still have these skills!! Still need to run one up into the attic and into my bedroom but I'll get him to do the grunt-work on that one too.

Having the ability to to that kind of stuff is like gold. I tell my boys (21 yrs) over & over to watch, listen, and learn. Whether it's home repair, cars, computers, electrical, the pool, they still don't get it. :hammer: Sometimes I think I'm in the attic more than in the house itself.

It’s a lost art form with these kids today. Knowing how to tackle projects and do repairs on your own, is IMO, an essential learning skill.
Going foward its also an essential financial skill with most trades charging 10x the highest minimum wage per hour.

I have a boomerang millennial basement dweller (kidding slightly) who also happens to be an electrician. He’s done things around here that have turned my 40 yr old home into a smart home. I even have a server in my basement like a national political figure!

Boy needs to get out of there though.

• Haha
Reactions: bmoreswim
I have two other sons at home in their early 20s. I've been trying to talk them into trades. I think I've almost got one convinced to be an electrician! He wants to work with animals but is too squeemish for Veterinary school. I've told him find a trade to make a living, and volunteer with animals like he is already doing.

Reactions: gonfishin
I have two other sons at home in their early 20s. I've been trying to talk them into trades. I think I've almost got one convinced to be an electrician! He wants to work with animals but is too squeemish for Veterinary school. I've told him find a trade to make a living, and volunteer with animals like he is already doing.

This is a great idea and the route I wish I had gone. A good friend of mine is an electrician and typically pulls down well over $200k/year with a high year of over $400k. He employs a helper or 2 for each job and does very well for himself. And it is not the high burnout rate (per him) of the IT professions. I have actually thought of asking to apprentice under him since you need I think 7 years as an apprentice in order to sit for the Master Electrician's test.

Going foward its also an essential financial skill with most trades charging 10x the highest minimum wage per hour.

I can tell you first hand, working around trades people for a good chunk of my life, all the trades will be making top dollar right out of school. All of the millennial and gen z generations have gone down the tech road, but the trades has dwindled. If you have a kid that has any kind of mechanical skills, steer him/her towards a trade. They’ll thank you when they’re older.

Reactions: Newdude
During the Korean War, the joke going around the MP base was that a 3 star general hired a plumber and balked at the bill. ‘That’s more than I make as a THREE star general !!!’ The plumber replied that’s what he used to say when HE was a 3 star general.

people could still fix things in the 60s. These kids today can’t fix lunch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I grew up and am still around all guys in the trades. My dad is the only one who went to college but was also still in the landscaping game. I can say as my dad and all his buddies are getting older I get more and more worried what I’m going to do when they are not around. A lot of my buddies r in the trades and I am half and half but I know whenever one of them are over my house and also when they built my house I was under each of thier wings just laboring and learning. Now I can work along side them which makes me pretty proud and they look to me for low volt work which makes me also pretty proud.
A lot of the trades r dieing off around here. Real masons almost don’t exist. A true carpenter is also dieing off. Thank goodness for one of my closest friends who is a custom furniture and cabinet tradesman. No one in our area can light a candle to him. Maybe in the tri state area. The amount of time he spends in jersey and New York for jobs anymore is nuts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.