I simply want clear water and a life outside fighting algae

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
68
Muskegon, Michigan
I have been battling algae for some time now. See http://www.troublefreepool.com/is-it-dead-was-slimebag-sadness-t25493.html for the details.

I know Intex filtering systems aren't the best, so I purchased the "Slimebag" as well as some filter socks. I figured I would get that algae out with the additional filtering and cleaning.

Things did get better. After shocking the pool to the recommended levels here on TFP, and then getting my FC to hold it's number overnight and 0 CC, I watched the algae die and settle on the bottom of the pool.

Repeated vacuuming and some swimming, along with repeated cleanings of the Slimebag, filter sock and filter itself helped a lot and the water got pretty clear. I was becoming pleased...

...until a couple of days ago. Slowly, I saw the water begin to get that greenish tint again. I kept the FC right where it needed to be and watched for a rise in CC but never saw it. I kept cleaning filters, Slimebag, etc.

To no avail. The water is looking pretty green again. It's not so much cloudy as "tinted green". I can see the bottom and do not see algae on it like I did before.

So I am confused. My PH, TA, CYA and FC are where they should be. I am filtering algae down to 1 micron thru the Slimebag and filtering in two other places too and washing them often.

Someone recommended on my other thread to look for places algae could be hiding, like the steps. I did this, but there a few places for algae to hid with the Intex and the stairs are only in when the kids swim.

How can this be and does anyone have any suggestions? Do I shock again when I already have FC holding and 0 CC? If so, how do I know when to stop if I already have the numbers I should have?

I would have to quit my job to keep ahead of this challenge!
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
If you have done an overnight loss test, and your FC is holding, then as Joyce suspects, the green can be from iron or copper in the water. You can have the pool store test for it, or try some sequesterant. HTH makes a relatively inexpensive one sold at Walmart.... make sure it's phosphonic acid based. You can add that and see if the green clears up.

But confirm you have done an overnight loss test first...
 

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
68
Muskegon, Michigan
Wow, that would help explain things.

Since finding this site (except for CYA) I have been avoiding any kind of pool stores and their products.

Are you suggesting I avoid doing a test and just try the sequesterant?

How do you know how much to put it and what effect, if any, will it have on my other numbers?

Also, I "acheived" the overnight hold test about a week ago after shocking for a few days. It seemed to take forever to come down from the high FC of 30 for shocking back to the normal 3-5 range after the shock. I did not have to run my generator for days...I did keep filtering though, pretty much 24/7.

Thanks!!
 

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
12,177
SWSuburban Chicago, IL
It will likely lower your FC some, perhaps the PH. The dosing instructions are on the bottle.

(I avoid pool stores unless I HAVE to, but that's just me :). You could stop there first and ask them to test for metals first to confirm it.)

But back to my original question, have you done an overnight FC loss test, with the SWG OFF, to confirm your FC is holding overnight?
 

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
68
Muskegon, Michigan
slawton said:
Also, I "acheived" the overnight hold test about a week ago after shocking for a few days. It seemed to take forever to come down from the high FC of 30 for shocking back to the normal 3-5 range after the shock. I did not have to run my generator for days...I did keep filtering though, pretty much 24/7.
Is this not what you mean?

Yes, the SWG was off when I did this.
 

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
68
Muskegon, Michigan
How does copper or iron get into your water? :evil:

My water was clear the entire summer until recently, so I assume it must get in there somehow...

Rain perhaps?
 

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
68
Muskegon, Michigan
Not according to this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

I have a vinyl pool.

Although, this is the lowest reading I have had for some time. I would have to say the average I keep is around 4-5.

And for the past several weeks after the shock, I hardly had to run the generator. The FC had to come down from 30 and with my CYA at 80 that took quite awhile.

But then I found this too: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

There seems to be a problem here on TFP or I'm missing something!

And this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator has always been my "God" and it says 3-5 for my CYA level.

Any moderators out there that can clear up this one?
 

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
68
Muskegon, Michigan
True.

Like I said, this was on the low side for me and a morning reading. I am running the SWG right now, which will bring it up into my more normal range of 4-5.
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
31,502
Sebring, Florida
Do I shock again when I already have FC holding and 0 CC? If so, how do I know when to stop if I already have the numbers I should have?
You have visible algae.....you need to shock.

Do not worry over 3-5ppm or 4-6ppm.......that's not where the problem is.

Chlorine kills algae. If you have algae, you should bring your pool to shock level and hold it there until....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Do not let the chlorine go below shock value until you can satisfy those three criteria. It may take longer than you like, but the problem is inadequate chlorine in your pool will let the algae reestablish itself. At some point, your FC became inadequate and algae got a foothold. Shock the pool according to the article in Pool School and the pool will clear.
 

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
10,964
Houston, Texas
slawton said:
How does copper or iron get into your water? :evil:

My water was clear the entire summer until recently, so I assume it must get in there somehow...

Rain perhaps?
If your SWG has the ionizer on it then you would be getting the copper from there. Another hidden source of copper are some algaecides and chlorine tablets. Check the labels of any products you use to make sure you are not adding any chemicals you do not intend to add to your pool.
 

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
2,598
And watch that grass fertilizer. Don't let it get into the pool. Often contains iron and many other metals like copper.
 

slawton

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2009
68
Muskegon, Michigan
I took my water to our local (and only) pool store guy today for testing.

He tells me he can't/doesn't even test for metals! He tests my water and finds nothing really out of whack.

I begin to explain to him about this site, how people here manage their pools, etc. and he just laughed it off...

He said the ONLY way I could have a metals issue is if I put well water into the pool, which I did not.

He didn't even think of suggesting the SWG ionizer and I didn't see this post until after I got home or I would have told him!

Can metals get destroyed from shocking? I've been shocking for a few days and at first, I saw a lot of greenish dust sitting on the pool floor. I assumed it was algae. I brushed it all off and the pool became cloudy. Since I have yet to see clear water, FC hold overnight and less than .5 CC, I have continued to shock. No longer do I see dead algae on the bottom, but the pool remains cloudy still this morning and I dropped from FC-30 (shock level) to 25.5. Shocked it again.

The reason I ask about the metals as continued shocking has not brought to the floor any more algae so I am beginning to wonder if it could be metals.

Can I add the metals sequesterant while shocking or will that royally mess things up?
 

Other Threads of Interest