I really don’t understand a lot of this

Passion

May 21, 2020
Ny
I really don’t understand a lot of this. My pool was green when opened 5 days ago. Read about slam,confused-with ppm. I put in 4 gals. 10percent bleach and it was off the Charts! Thought I ruined vinyl liner. In morning read 10 was relieved and pool was now aqua! So guess it was ok. Still dealing with it the pool math calculator has more info than I need so confusing, but I think I’m in ballpark. With this virus, hard to get chlorine,but I got 6 bottles when it was out. I have 2 left and I put 2 lbs of non chlorine shock in the morning,brushed and after manual vacuum busted tried with the unreliableBarracuda and had to free it several times from ladder, but I thinki it got job done as after few hours Pool is looking more clear, still cloudy. Total chlorine is 10 and free chlorine is 5. There is no place to calculate total chlorine vs free chlorine, which is your confusion. Cya chart doesn’t reference it either. I’m using aquacheck test strips as is easier for me to understand. Since total chlorine so high I assume I have to be higher with free chlorine. I was wondering if I should put in another 2lbs nonchlorine shock and then add high dose chlorine???

I really don’t understand a lot of this. My pool was green when opened 5 days ago. Read about slam,confused-with ppm. I put in 4 gals. 10percent bleach and it was off the Charts! Thought I ruined vinyl liner. In morning read 10 was relieved and pool was now aqua! So guess it was ok. Still dealing with it the pool math calculator has more info than I need so confusing, but I think I’m in ballpark. With this virus, hard to get chlorine,but I got 6 bottles when it was out. I have 2 left and I put 2 lbs of non chlorine shock in the morning,brushed and after manual vacuum busted tried with the unreliableBarracuda and had to free it several times from ladder, but I thinki it got job done as after few hours Pool is looking more clear, still cloudy. Total chlorine is 10 and free chlorine is 5. There is no place to calculate total chlorine vs free chlorine, which is your confusion. Cya chart doesn’t reference it either. I’m using aquacheck test strips as is easier for me to understand. Since total chlorine so high I assume I have to be higher with free chlorine. I was wondering if I should put in another 2lbs nonchlorine shock and then add high dose chlorine???
Hi
You seem to have posted this on the end of a post I did last year. It would be better if you started a new post as then it will be seen by the forum experts and you’ll get some good advice. Normally old posts don’t get followed up.
a couple of quick comments from me:-
- It would help you if you got a good test-kit. They recommend the Taylor kit. Test strips can be unreliable.
- Total chlorine = Free chlorine + combined chlorine. So if your TC = 10 and your FC = 5 then that implies your CC = 5 also so you need to keep going with your SLAM.
- Do you know your CYA level. You’ll need this to know what free chlorine level to do the SLAM at
- You only need to use Liquid Chlorine ( bleach)
But as I say, repost as a new thread so that the experts pick this up.
Good luck!
Ian

Hi Passion, welcome to TFP! Do not use non-chlorine shock. It creates a lot of combined chlorine that will use extra chlorine to get rid of. You need to complete the SLAM Process to clear your pool. We will be happy to walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

In order to complete the slam process you will need test results from a high quality FAS/DPD kit such as a TF 100 or Taylor k2006. You need frequent, accurate test results to determine how much chlorine to add and how often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.