I put too much PH minus into my pool...

OmeZecha

Jun 25, 2009
Um, I'm really very embarassed by this, but I think I made a very bad mistake when I was reading the directions to this PH minus stuff I got for the pool.

I am a new pool owner, and I accidentally put 7 pounds of ph minus (Sodium Bisulfate 92%, and 8% inert ingredients) instead of 8 ounces..

short question is, should I drain this pool or is there some way to salvage this major screw up? sorry if this is kinda pushy for my fiorst post, but I just did this and then saw the ounces instead of pounds, and then kinda freaked googling without any answers popping up and then found this place.

I appreciate and thank you for any and all help offered to this, my pool is 5200 or so gallons of water.

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
5200 gallons is a lot of water to dump :cry: ...if this just happened you can try to counterbalance with a mix of 20mule team borax...up to 50ppm

according to poolcalculator..assuming your PH was in the vicinity of 8 (since you added ph minus...i'm guessing) you can buy 3 boxes of 20 mule team 4.5lb boxes...add 2 boxes...let it circulate and the test in 2 hours...adjust from there with your third box...added benefit = your borate level will end up around 30ppm :goodjob:

try it out...better than wasting 5200 gallons of water

Buggsw

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Arizona
7 lbs of ph minus in the water. I doubt 3 boxes of borax are going to do anything to counterbalance that. I could be wrong,though. But assuming it's so acidic that they cannot even get a ph reading from the overdosing, so even starting at ph of 0 it would take 199 boxes of borax to increase ph to 7 in 5500 gallons of water - according to The Pool Calculator.

My first thought was, are you sure the vinyl liner hasn't melted away?

I don't know. To me 5500 gallons of water equals about $75.00 on my water bill.

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
buggs...7lbs dropped the OPs PH to somewhere around 6...3 boxes =13.5lbs which would get it back up. Are you saying 7lb (112oz) of PH minus would have dropped his PH down to 0? I am trying to understand your post.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
To cancel out 7 lbs of dry acid (PH Down) you need to add 5 1/3 lbs of Borax. That will put you back exactly where you started. Since the original goal was to lower the PH, adding only one box of borax (4 3/4 lbs) will get quite close to the original goal.

Buggsw

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Arizona
dmanb2b said:
buggs...7lbs dropped the OPs PH to somewhere around 6...3 boxes =13.5lbs which would get it back up. Are you saying 7lb (112oz) of PH minus would have dropped his PH down to 0? I am trying to understand your post.

Well, yes. Last night, I swear I checked the Pool Calc and thought it said it would drop it way down. When you posted, I looked at the page again. Don't know what the heck, but today, I pulled it up again and ran the numbers and well it tells me it would have dropped it 3.42. Not good, but not as bad as I initially thought. So sorry for the confusion.

I will never, ever doubt you again dmanb2b. You set me straight. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread