I plan to super shock my pool with potassium monopersulfate

watermaverick

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2010
23
San Antonio, Texas
Hi - I am new to this site today. Because this is a "quick reply" I won't bore with the backstory of this pool - but it's a whopper. I have much more to read on this site nd no doubt will learn great things about modern pool care.
Today I plan to super shock my pool with potassium monopersulfate. Keeping within this thread I wanted to share what I paid for the bags of MPS from the local pool supply store...12 x 1 lb. bags = $50.

55,000 gal IG Zars Pool /D.E. Filter/Polaris 360 Pool Cleaner
 

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
1,358
North Central Texas
Re: Non Clorine Shock?

I keep the MPS around for those other than me, to put into the Bromine Spa, after soaking. It's just so much easier to use, for them, and that way is does get done. Otherwise, after soaking, I use bleach unless I have to go all the way out to the garage for a new big bottle of bleach; then I use the MPS.

gg=alice
 

tim_pool_newbie

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 6, 2009
164
Re: Non Clorine Shock?

Great discussion! Am I correct in that some of the non-chlorine shock products usually allow you back in the pool in as little as 15 minutes after application? If so, I could see this as one of the main reasons to keep some of this product on hand. Being a new pool owner, I'm finding my pool is filled with friends/family every single weekend and so I find it best to shock the pool on Friday evening before the weekend crowd arrives. I then feel secure that my pool is ready for the heavy bather load over the weekend. However, in those cases where I might not be able to get this done before my guests arrive, or in case an accident occurs while they are here, I'm thinking having some non-chlorine shock product on hand would still allow me to shock it perhaps on Saturday morning, right before everyone wants to jump in - or maybe even between swimming sessions (if I notice bather load has impacted my chlorine levels).

Thoughts? Am I on the right track here??

Thanks,
Tim
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,880
Silver Spring, MD
watermaverick, why would you shock the pool with MPS? Chlorine is less expensive and more effective for outdoor pools.

tim_pool_newbie, there isn't normally any reason to shock the pool, so how long you need to wait after shocking really isn't an issue. And if there is a reason to shock, then you shouldn't be swimming regardless.
 

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
12,082
San Rafael, CA USA
Re: Non Clorine Shock?

tim_pool_newbie said:
Being a new pool owner, I'm finding my pool is filled with friends/family every single weekend and so I find it best to shock the pool on Friday evening before the weekend crowd arrives. I then feel secure that my pool is ready for the heavy bather load over the weekend.
As Jason noted, there is no need to shock the pool. If you are worried about the higher bather load, you can just raise your FC level to accommodate it. So if you've got 50 ppm CYA, then instead of having 4 ppm FC minimum you could have 6 ppm or 7 ppm FC instead. You can also test the chlorine level in the morning before they arrive (and add more if needed) and then test again in the evening (and add more if needed).

It would take a pretty extraordinary bather load to use up a lot more chlorine in your pool. Every bather-hour in your 22,500 gallon pool only contributes a chlorine demand of around 0.05 ppm FC. So unless you have a lot of kids (or adults, for that matter) peeing in your pool, I doubt your chlorine usage will be higher by more than 1-2 ppm FC. Most of the chlorine loss will still likely be from sunlight perhaps at 2-3 ppm FC for the day.

If you accurately measure your FC level before and after your guests have used the pool, then let us know what you find out compared to normal chlorine losses during the day.
 

Other Threads of Interest