Hi here is my new numbers.
fc 5
cc0
tc 5
ph 7.3
alc 80
calcium 200
cya 50

Here is my dilema,i need to bring up my cya another 25ppm except that my ph is now only 7.3.
The last time that i brought up my cya by 25ppm i lost .3 from my ph.

Should i raise my ph first,or can i raise my cya and then deal with a ph that will probably be 7.0

I also can't find borax here in quebec canada so i'm scared that i will raise my alcalinity if i use the pool store products witch use baking soda to raise ph.

Thanks

Dont worry about the pH at this point. Add the CYA and then see what your pH is after the addition.

Now, my question is why do you want to add more CYA? I know dogma says run a higher CYA with a SWCG, but....are you having issues? Your pH seems to be ok and not a problem. How many hours per day are you running your generator? Is it keeping up? The primary reasons to keep the CYA higher with a SWG is to minimize run time,keep the pH rise minimized, and allow the generator to keep up with the FC demand. In my experience and what I read, etc, people in northern latitudes and SWGs that are not undersized can run a lower CYA.

I second what Bama suggested. You will be fine if you just set a return to break the water surface or something that creates bubbles and go ahead and put your CYA in as indicated.

bk406 said:
Dont worry about the pH at this point. Add the CYA and then see what your pH is after the addition.

Now, my question is why do you want to add more CYA? I know dogma says run a higher CYA with a SWCG, but....are you having issues? Your pH seems to be ok and not a problem. How many hours per day are you running your generator? Is it keeping up? The primary reasons to keep the CYA higher with a SWG is to minimize run time,keep the pH rise minimized, and allow the generator to keep up with the FC demand. In my experience and what I read, etc, people in northern latitudes and SWGs that are not undersized can run a lower CYA.

Right now everything is running great,i'm running my pump 8 hr per day and i'm only running the salt generator 4 hours per day.The reason i wanted to change my numbers was to follow the advice on this sight.I spent quite a bit of time reading on this sight and i have alot better understanding of what is going on now in my pool.

What your saying about the northern latitudes also make sence since we don't have alot of hot days and the pool season only lasts 4 months.There's not that many hot sunny days so the loss of fc must be alot lower then say florida.

It really depends on everyones situation. The higher CYA numbers for SWG are recommended here and in the users manuals for the generators as well. The advice is sound, really. But, there is a reason behind the advice. There is nothing magic about it, either. As I said, the higher CYA does multiple things. In southern latitudes, higher CYA levels are probably needed to keep enough FC in the water without running the generator 24/7. The result of running the generator that much is an upward presure on the pH, and wear and tear on the unit. The downside is that a higher CYA means a higher level of FC is needed if you ever need to shock the pool. It also means that you need to keep the baseline FC higher as well. At 50 ppm CYA, the target FC is around 6, at 80 ppm, its 9. So..its a trade off. The higher the CYA, the less you run the SWG, but maybe not since the baseline Fc needs to be higher. Really, it depends on what works best for a given pool. The advice of a higher CYA is a bit generic but it seems to work for most people. THe size of the SWG relative to the pool size, pump run time, amount of sun on the pool, ambient air temp over the summer, etc. all contribute to how much stabilizer is needed. If your not having problems, then I say dont mess with it.

(Realize that if you look at the FC/CYA chart that there is one for non-SWG pools and one for SWG pools. The CYAt o FC ratio is a bit lower for SWG pools. This is really based on observations over time. Most of it, I believe, has to do with the fact that the FC levels in a SWG pool dont fluctuate as much as a manually dosed pool. Therefore, you may not need as much FC as a manually dosed pool given the same CYA level).

bk406 said:
It really depends on everyones situation. The higher CYA numbers for SWG are recommended here and in the users manuals for the generators as well. The advice is sound, really. But, there is a reason behind the advice. There is nothing magic about it, either. As I said, the higher CYA does multiple things. In southern latitudes, higher CYA levels are probably needed to keep enough FC in the water without running the generator 24/7. The result of running the generator that much is an upward presure on the pH, and wear and tear on the unit. The downside is that a higher CYA means a higher level of FC is needed if you ever need to shock the pool. It also means that you need to keep the baseline FC higher as well. At 50 ppm CYA, the target FC is around 6, at 80 ppm, its 9. So..its a trade off. The higher the CYA, the less you run the SWG, but maybe not since the baseline Fc needs to be higher. Really, it depends on what works best for a given pool. The advice of a higher CYA is a bit generic but it seems to work for most people. THe size of the SWG relative to the pool size, pump run time, amount of sun on the pool, ambient air temp over the summer, etc. all contribute to how much stabilizer is needed. If your not having problems, then I say dont mess with it.

(Realize that if you look at the FC/CYA chart that there is one for non-SWG pools and one for SWG pools. The CYAt o FC ratio is a bit lower for SWG pools. This is really based on observations over time. Most of it, I believe, has to do with the fact that the FC levels in a SWG pool dont fluctuate as much as a manually dosed pool. Therefore, you may not need as much FC as a manually dosed pool given the same CYA level).

I there a difference in red itchi eyes with a fc 5 vs a fc of 9

My kids seem to complain more with higher fc

Thanks

bats said:

Thanks
Well....you will find differing opinions. Some people will say that the itchy, red eyes are not due to FC at all, but increased levels of combined chlorines (CC) or the pH being off. My opinion is that its mostly due to CC or pH. However, I have noticed that if my FC gets over 10, even with a CYA of 50-60, my wife says she can tell. And..i dont even have to tell her the FC is that high. She will tell me. I'll test it and sure enough, it's 10 or so. Doesnt happen often, only if i leave the solar cover on 2-3 days in a row and dont adjust the SWG down a bit.

bk406 said:
bats said:

Thanks
Well....you will find differing opinions. Some people will say that the itchy, red eyes are not due to FC at all, but increased levels of combined chlorines (CC) or the pH being off. My opinion is that its mostly due to CC or pH. However, I have noticed that if my FC gets over 10, even with a CYA of 50-60, my wife says she can tell. And..i dont even have to tell her the FC is that high. She will tell me. I'll test it and sure enough, it's 10 or so. Doesnt happen often, only if i leave the solar cover on 2-3 days in a row and dont adjust the SWG down a bit.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.