I need a non slip paint or coating for cement deck

adl6009

Mar 19, 2015
Long Island, NY
I have cement around my 18x36 inground pool and I need to add a non slip coating. I would like to find what has worked well, and that which has not, for you. The cement around the pool has been there for 15 years and it seems like the paint I have applied over the years has filled in the rough surface originally brushed intro the surface. I have read reviews on a number of name brand paints with aggregate, some products that go on clear over the surface with aggregate and also the poly coating that claims to provide a cooler surface. The reviews are all pretty mixed with no clear favorite from what I have read. Thanks for taking the time to help.

DaneCE

Jul 1, 2011
VA
I did an anti-slip coating to 3 sets of deck stairs after my wife slipped and broke her leg. Yikes! Flip flops in the rain with the dog at her feet...so, I had to increase safety. What I did was on less than 35 sq. ft. so it may not be practical for your project area. I do many types of roofing and had a few hundred pounds of granules for touching up torch-down type roll roofing. I use Benjamin Moore Arborcoat solid stain (really as a paint) for my deck, railings and privacy fence. I just brushed a thick coat of the Arborcoat and sprinkled the granules on. I made a shaker cup by just drilling holes in a lid to allow a controlled delivery of the granules. After the Arborcoat was dry I brushed on another coat. I did this over 6 years ago and it still looks good and has held up great but I do re-coat my decking every year just for looks. As for the anti-slip factor, it works great.

adl6009

Mar 19, 2015
Long Island, NY
Thanks. What you did was pretty much the same as adding the sand to the paint, like they sell in paint stores. I am curious what its like walking on it barefoot? I am also hoping to get opinions about stock non slip paints, like the valspar product, and coatings, like the seal create products. What are they like underfoot. What durability or lifespan have you experiences? Would you use it again? Thanks.

DaneCE

Jul 1, 2011
VA
At first I tried some other granules that I had from a metal tile/shake,etc. type product. They are made by 3M and are slightly bigger than grains of sand but round and smooth. They were too small to give any grip once the paint was added. I never actually tried using play sand after the 3M failure. The granules that I used are much bigger than sand but they aren't uncomfortable to walk on barefoot although each time I paint the surface becomes more averaged out and provides less grip. I have seen stairs that were coated with a stock non-slip paint and it seemed to do a good job. My only concern would be the quality of the paint itself and its longevity. I've been a fan of Benjamin Moore paints for decades for interior use. I began using the Arborcoat stain soon after it was released. I've read plenty of negative reviews for it but after my experience with it for 7+ years I can only give it high marks.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread