Hurry up and wait! (Katy, TX)

I would kill for those Houston area pool prices, as would most of the country.
And yea, I agree! Granted, mine is a pool + complete re-do of back yard, landscaping and lighting. But I'm going to be about $220k when complete. And about $40k alone was spent removing the slope (11 dump trucks full of dirt). And it took 9 full cement trucks worth of concrete to create the pool shell and 6'x70' retaining wall... it's a foot thick. The amount of rebar that went into the pool and retaining wall was insane! We had to bring a lot of gravel rocks to fill in the area behind the retaining wall for proper drainage. Knowing I'll never recoup the cost of the pool upon sale, I seriously considered moving to a house with a pool already built. But my wife and I decided that we love our neighborhood, like our house, and plan to be here till we retire... so we're doing it for us and our family, without regard to resale value.

Now I feel silly for my sticker shock..🙃 Don't know why Houston prices would be comparatively less than elsewhere, but I guess I won't complain. haha

so we're doing it for us and our family, without regard to resale value
That's the way to do it. Same here.

I'm 5'6" and the SO is 6'2". I'd like a deep end deep enough that we can tread water when we want to, and also allow some jumping in (no diving of course). I like the sport pool design since it also maximizes space for pool games which will be nice given the limited space we have to work with. I've been considering something like 4' to 6' to 4.5', which would be about a 1 foot change over 8 feet or so. The builder recommended shallower but said he'd do whatever I wanted.
Is there an industry standard or best practices when it comes to floor slopage?
I look at it this way.. what do you plan on doing with your pool? Do you have specific things you want to accomplish? My mom wanted a lap pool, and so she made the shallow end a little deeper so she could do kick turns with out hitting the bottom, My cousin is/was a competitive diver, so he needed a 10 foot deep end to go with his real 1 meter board.. he didn't want to hit the bottom after coming out of the tuck.. I've swam in pools where they built them really shallow for the little kids, but the kids grew up and now you can't do the crawl without your hands hitting the bottom. And I saw a build here where the drop off was pretty sudden.. they didn't want to waste space on the transition... There is no standard slope-age.. just whatever you want. So if you want it deep enough to have to tread water.. then 5.5' is going to be too shallow. OR you bend your legs and use your imagination.

Reactions: renesme
Ok...I got the equipment list for PB1. Still waiting on an itemized quote.

Hayward – 30-6159 LACUS11100 LED Color logic
Hayward VSOMNI 30-1053
Heater Hayward-15-732 H400FDK400KNGID LowNox
Pump Hayward HL32950VSP
V950 OMNI VS pump
Blower Hayward 85-1003 SPB152 l.5 Hp Spa blower
Hayward 05-362 C530 Swimclear Cart. Filter

I've asked to add the AquaPlus, which I gather from Hayward's website does the SWG and automation. There are also 3 pumps listed; I assume they are for 1) pool, 2) spa, 3) water features. Does that sound right?

Any red flags on the above list?

Reactions: HermanTX
There are also 3 pumps listed; I assume they are for 1) pool, 2) spa, 3) water features. Does that sound right?
1 main pump for pool & spa is a common hookup, 1 pump for water features. Are you having special jets to power your spa. That could be the 3rd pump.
Alternatively, we have not talked about pool cleaner - is the PB proposing a pressure side cleaner as that would require a booster pump.

I've asked to add the AquaPlus, which I gather from Hayward's website does the SWG and automation. There are also 3 pumps listed; I assume they are for 1) pool, 2) spa, 3) water features. Does that sound right?

My pool set up is using 3 pumps as well. (#1) For pool and 6 spa jets, (#2) for water features (3 scuppers and 4 deck jets) and (#3) for 8 additional spa jets (total of 14).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely ask.

@HermanTX, they also listed a pressure side cleaner and booster pump, but. I removed those from the list since I'll get the robot instead

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely ask.

@HermanTX, they also listed a pressure side cleaner and booster pump, but. I removed those from the list since I'll get the robot instead
Great. Let us know what the 3rd pump is for - probably for the jets in the spa but be interesting to know from PB.

Well, it seems the world may never know the purpose of the three pumps. The PB has gone silent and ignored all my questions.
Oh well

I have a few things going with some other builders and am slowly converging on a final design.

That's a really cool and integrated design I think it works very well on in your space. I have a smaller backyard as well and I posted here to try and get some feedback mainly cause this is my first build as well. The one builder I got quote from as well is using Hayward so it's not to see what equipment you are getting as well. I'll definitely be tracking your build.

I'm down here in Sugar Land.

May I ask who your builder is? Still trying to find the right one.

@stack24 I haven't picked a builder yet, still in the design and interview phase at this point. I've probably reached out to 20 builders at this point and trying to get any of them to get back to me has been a challenge. Definitely a seller's market right now!

@stack24 I haven't picked a builder yet, still in the design and interview phase at this point. I've probably reached out to 20 builders at this point and trying to get any of them to get back to me has been a challenge. Definitely a seller's market right now!

Yeah I am on about 8 right now haha. Between big guys and little guys. Some of the PB even asking fees to do designs. I thought they all did for free trying to sell lol.

Whose has been your front runner if you don’t mind me asking.

I've noticed that getting a pool builder to design a pool for you now will be more difficult than it was say six months ago. I've also found that if you do find a builder who can build for you, the questions to zero in on is how soon can a hole be dug and shot with Gunite or shotcrete. I've heard from a few people where they're stuck with a hole with rebar in their yard for weeks at a time. This can be stressful to sit and watch that especially with the unpredictable weather we have as far as rain is concerned. Here in Houston there are a lot of new pool builders popping up and are willing to take on work and for reasonable prices too. The problem is how do they get a seat at the Gunite table when you have the reputable companies already eating a large portion. I went this with a builder where work was supposed to start in October and got pushed back to January and then because of delays was going to be pushed back to March.

Reactions: renesme
Figured I'd provide an update: I've narrowed it down to 2 PBs and am at the point of trying to get more details of exactly what I'm paying for spelled out in the contracts. It amazes me how vague these documents are. "Pump: yes" Um...ok? :rolleyes: Do people really sign these things without knowing what they are buying? Yes, clearly since this is apparently the default. Of the 2 I do have a favorite, and both didn't give me grief about asking for a SWG, so that is nice. So, maybe things will be official within the month. Fingers crossed. Snowmaggedon really made February a wash on actually getting anything done.

I've purchased the TF kit bundle with the whirligig, whale brush, and skimmer handle and also bought a stack of beach towels for family and friends from the online rain forest purveyor of earthly goods. Getting exited that things are finally starting to get real. :whoot:

Reactions: Nikilyn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.