I know nothing about pools. Now I need to know everything quick.

Crazyladyc

In The Industry
Jul 31, 2019
Piedmont oklahoma
I was just hired at a job where I have to take care of an 18000 gallon, indoor, in ground pool. I was sent to "pool school" last week but it was not very helpful.
read thru a book and out. the pool is closed and has been closed since I have been here. I have no idea when the last time it was tested or treated or chemicals added.
the pimp wasn't on until I turned it on last week. I didn't know how lng to run it or when to circulate or what! I feel ridiculous and no one here seems to be able to tell
me where to start. thought I could get some help here..... maybe

Welcome to TFP. Is this pool a public pool? Public pools are required to follow local regulations which are often different then the way we teach to maintain residential pools. So beware of what you learn here and check on what regulations you are required to follow with water chemistry.

We can likely help you some but we need to understand about the pool, how it is used, when it is used, what the bather load is, what equipment it has, how the water is sanitized, and probably much more. An indoor pool has different water chemistry requirements than the outdoor pools we talk about here due to the lack of sun UV rays to burn off chlorine and CCs.

If you are allowed, then posting pics of the pool and equipment would let us understand your situation.

Good luck with your new job.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
H.i Sorry i haven't responded sooner. the pool WILL BE a public pool once i get it figured out. It will be used maybe once a day by maybe 5 people. i do not know the bather load yet. i will attach pics of what i have. I believe it is a bromine pool.

Attachments

• Pool pump pic.jpg
    Pool pump pic.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 36
  • pool pic.jpg
    pool pic.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Pool pic 3.jpg
    Pool pic 3.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Pool pic 4.jpg
    Pool pic 4.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 33
The equipment seams to be much in line with residential. We can probably help you but need to understand you have to follow local bylaws. Anyways you need a profesional test kitTest Kits Compared i would recommend the Taylor K-2006C as it will probably be much inline with local inspectors. Order the speedstirr as it will be much easier to test. When you get it post test result and we will go from there.

Reactions: Crazyladyc
You know what your local codes are for a public pool that you need to follow? Water chemistry? Testing? Record keeping?

I was sent to "pool school" last week but it was not very helpful.
Yep, that's about all the training you get before you're considered to be a "professional".

You get a container of test strips, a bucket of tabs and some bags of "shock".

Most information that you are given is from a book from the 1950s or a grainy, black and white video from 1938 narrated by Jimmy Stewart.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.