I just dont 'get' adding CYA.

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
So maybe I'm just slow but I am having no luck in adding stabilizer to my pool. Last year I tried the sock method but to no avail. At one point last year I had about 4 socks hung into the pool and all stayed full of the Clorox stablizer I filled them with. The stuff simply does not dissolve and CYA levels stay below 20. In fact, usually after doing a test, I can still perfectly see the black dot even after completely filling the CYA viewing tube. What gives? I know you're not supposed to broadcast this stuff into the pool but how in the world are you supposed to get this stuff to dissolve?

So maybe I'm just slow but I am having no luck in adding stabilizer to my pool. Last year I tried the sock method but to no avail. At one point last year I had about 4 socks hung into the pool and all stayed full of the Clorox stablizer I filled them with. The stuff simply does not dissolve and CYA levels stay below 20. In fact, usually after doing a test, I can still perfectly see the black dot even after completely filling the CYA viewing tube. What gives? I know you're not supposed to broadcast this stuff into the pool but how in the world are you supposed to get this stuff to dissolve?
if you squeeze the sock every few minutes, it will dissolve in a cloud . it took 30 min to do 4 lbs

I've been using the Clorox brand the past couple seasons with good success. As jmikeb noted above, make sure to squeeze often. Last time I added some, I put about 1-2 lbs in a white tube sock, then let it soak (hanging) in the pool for about 10-15 minutes before I started squeezing away. It was all gone in about 30 minutes after that.

I don't use the sock in front of a return method. I use a filter/skimmer sock filled with up to 3lbs or so of CYA. I put it in the skimmer. I let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Then I come out and squeeze it until it is gone. Takes about an hour total. A reading 2 hours after I add it is accurate. I also do not worry about blocking the skimmer. I have 2 skimmers. I also have a floor drain if I wanted to put CYA in both skimmers. I fill my skimmer basket full with the filter/skimmer sock of CYA.

I do a little of both. dissolved 4lbs 2 weekends ago.
Filled a white sock, threw it in the skimmer and let it sit for 45 minutes.

pull it out, hang it near the return and now the cya is super squishy.
kneed it around like it's dough and it releases into the incoming jet stream.
Done in 30 minutes.

I do find quite a bit of fine grain cya on the deep end floor about an hour
after that, so I run the robot vac to pick that up so it doesn't sit on the vinyl floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So after seeing how easy this stuff is to dissolve in a skimmer sock, my own post now seems insane to me. I can't imagine what others thought and I I see where I went wrong last season. I'm largely bringing this up based off of last year. I bought a standard 4 lbs jug of CYA but I never read about not backwashing until it was too late. After backwashing, I noticed all of the stablizer I had just bought was now settled along the ground next to my backwash drain. Well being frugal, I tried to collect it and put it back in some socks. Apparently this was a bad idea. I dont know if that stuff binds with sand or not but eventhough what I collected looked just like what was in the jug, it just sat without ever dissolving in the socks I had along the pool. Lesson learned.

Putting it into the skimmer causes a fairly acidic situation. You would be better off pouring directly into skimmer and avoid backwash for 7-10 days. The CYA will get caught in the filter and dissolve.

We recommend *if* someone puts their CYA loaded sock in to the skimmer basket, they should *also run the pump continuously* until all is dissolved so as to *not* allow the water in the skimmer to become stagnant and acidic.

One risk of doing as you suggest and pouring it into the skimmer is that you clog a pipe with CYA. It is sort of gummy when wet and we'd hate to hear of that happening yet we do at least once a year it seems.

Maddie :flower:

I'm doing my first water replacement and have found the stocking method works well, but the "squeeze" part is ESSENTIAL. I didn't find this post until after having a stocking hanging for 2 days before it was empty.

PROTIPS!
* If you use ladies hose be sure to remove the lady first!
* Don't use wife's good panty hose as it tends to cause bruising around the forehead and shoulders!
;)

What I don't understand is how my cya can go from 40 at end of last season to 0-10 a few weeks ago. I do the skimmer, sock, squeeze method too. Is squeezing with a bare hand harmful? That's what I do without issue.

Not sure what all the negativity about 3" pucks is about raising cya. I can't image cya going up faster than it goes down. I don't use pucks, just saying.

It might be high as 20 or so, but it doesn't show up so well on the tube. And CYA is kinda notorious for lowering a bit over time (particularly winter).

Squeezing the sock won't hurt ya at all... its milky looking when you do.

The "negativity" you speak of is the use of pucks *without* awareness that they *also* contain CYA...and many, many people are totally surprised that by their over use they've unwittingly loaded up their water with more CYA than is useful. In fact CYA too high is detrimental to good pool care.

TFP believes in only putting in to the pool that which you know you're adding and need, and nothing else.

Maddie :flower:

What I don't understand is how my cya can go from 40 at end of last season to 0-10 a few weeks ago. I do the skimmer, sock, squeeze method too. Is squeezing with a bare hand harmful? That's what I do without issue.

Not sure what all the negativity about 3" pucks is about raising cya. I can't image cya going up faster than it goes down. I don't use pucks, just saying.

It depends on where you live, the pucks are not as bad for those of us with short pool seasons, for me it is mid April and the ice is finally off the top, it will not be open until June. 1 metre of the water on the cover is rain and snow since it closed last September, that will be drained off, and the pool filled, even if the CYA is 30 right now, it will be at the most 20, when we are open, because 1/3rd of the water is new. So if I get it to 30 for the first day of the swim season. using the pucks, will probably bring it up to maybe 70 by closing day 12 weeks later. That is an acceptable high level. Now if the swim season is much longer, you can see the problem that brings, add another 8 weeks, and your looking at 100. If you have an all year around pool, you could easily be looking at 200.

Reactions: Slpoolowner

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.