I have some work to do.....

GoldMember

May 12, 2020
Long Beach, CA
....before I get my footing. I just introduced myself in the TFP intro section and have done some reading around here. I'm excited to start doing this right, even though my time is limited (like many of us).

This is my first post. I just had my pool fully redone a year ago. I've been testing clorine and pH weekly and have had a very clear pool. Now, summer's here and my pool just had it's first birthday so it's time to get to work. I'm going to order the TF-100. Just waiting to hear back about the speedstir availability.

Tested water at Leslie's 2 weeks ago. Found TFC while attempting to interpret their findings. They basically told me to add two bags of Fresh n Clear and 5 lbs of conditioner. See pic of the results sheet. I know these are old numbers. I'm doing my best to keep up. Until I get a TF 100...

1. Should I do the Fresh n Clear, or hold off?? What's the word on this stuff?
2. Should I do the conditioner? My pool is covered all of the time and have read, even directly on the Leslie's sheet, to only add CyA to uncovered pools. I told them it was covered.

I have fixed the pH. I see from other posts that I'm not ready to fully ask for help yet. I need a current test.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting started.

Attachments

• Pool water test May 2 2020.jpg
    Pool water test May 2 2020.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 6
I would do nothing based on Leslie's testing. If your CYA was that low, you wouldn't have that much FC left. But then, maybe the FC test is wrong, too, so who knows.

Fresh-n-Clear is non-chlorine shock. It's MPS. Potassium Monopersulfate, and it shows up as CC on tests unless you buy a special reagent. I wouldn't use it. Why do you need to "shock" anyway? If the water is clear and there's no algae, what does it accomplish except drive sales?

Oh, and welcome :wave:

Hi, welcome to TFP! Do not use the Fresh and Clear. I would add a regular size bottle of plain, unscented bleach daily until you get your test kit. If I believed the Leslie's test, and I'm not sure I do, I would still only add 3 pounds of stabilizer/conditioner and check test it again before adding more. I would hold off for now.
Is your pool usually covered or is it just covered for now?

Hi,

My pool is always covered. So no CyA, correct?

Zea3, I have a SWG and my chlorine is dead nuts according to my test kit right now.

I asked specifically about the Fresh n Clear. They said I need to make the Free Chlorine match the Total Chlorine and that's how to do it. I definitely felt like it was a sales pitch. I do have that "chlorine" smell too, which they said it would solve.

Thanks guys!

Pardon me while I roll my eyes! Yes, you were being sold, alright! The Fresh and Clear will make the CC's (which provide the "chlorine" smell) go up. Plain chlorine and exposure to sun will burn up the CCs. Keep the pool uncovered for a while so the sun has a chance to help burn off the CCs and the pool can out-gas. Liquid chlorine is best to use until the SWG is up and running. Normally we advise the SLAM Process process to get rid of the CCs, but we need current, accurate test results first.
EDIT: yes I would wait for test results before adding the CYA.

Ok, I'll wait, and not do the Fresh n Clear either.

I'll leave it uncovered for a couple of days, but will that affect my CyA? I prefer it covered but I'll do what I gotta do.

The SWG has been up and running all year and I've got it dialed in, as far as my limited tests show.

I'll post back when I have test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.