I have had it with Alkalinity

jereece

Jun 19, 2019
Charlotte, NC
I have about had it with Alkalinity. The pool school states "At low TA levels, the PH tends to swing around wildly. At high TA levels, the PH tends to drift up." I agree with the second statement, but not the first. When my pool Alkalinity is left alone, my pool like an Alkalinity of 40. pH is rock stable at 7.6 with that Alkalinity. However, if I raise Alkalinity to 80 or 90, pH goes over 8.2 and I wind up adding acid which in turn seems to bring Alkalinity back down. So, my question, should I even worry about Alkalinity if my pH is stable?

If you would, put your pool information in your signature to help the experts.
I wouldn’t raise TA. If pool likes it at 40 I would leave it there. Plaster pool may be an issue? I have vinyl so am not sure.

Reactions: Richard320
If you would, put your pool information in your signature to help the experts.
I wouldn’t raise TA. If pool likes it at 40 I would leave it there. Plaster pool may be an issue? I have vinyl so am not sure.
Sorry I forgot to add my pool info. It's a fiberglass pool. Since I now have a pH of 8.2, should I adjust that down to some value with acid and then let the Alkalinity trend down or do nothing and let the pH naturally go down on it's own as the Alkalinity trends down? Thanks again for your wisdom.

There does seem to be much anxiety about TA levels. Learn the TA of your fill water to understand how it changes your water chemistry during the summer. Maintain your pH below 8 and watch your CSI to determine if you have bigger issues. Water features can also have you chasing your TA tail. Each pool is unique so finding your relatively stable zone will take a little time and practice as you move through the seasons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.