I have a ColorLogic LED light (2) that work great in the fixed mode, but trips the GFCI outlet when it enters the "show multi-light" mode.

Jul 16, 2013
Hi, as the header says, I have ColorLogic LED lights (2) that work great in the fixed mode, but trips the GFCI outlet when it enters the "show multi-light" mode.
I heard that there is EMI interference when the show mode is activated that is just enough to trip the outlet.
I also know that some have put an EMI Noise Suppressor filter inline to remedy this.
Is there anyone who's had a similar issue that can help guide me? Thanks in advance!!
Joe

Joe,

The first thing I would do is to either replace the GFCI outlet, or add a new GFCI breaker and feed the lights from the new GFCI breaker rather than using the outlet for protection..

How old is the pool? I am assuming the lights worked fine for a while and now there is an issue.. It is just as likely that the GFCI has an issue vs. the lights.

Looking at the suppressors on line, it seems that you just wire one in series with the hot lead that is coming from the GFCI outlet and going to the lights..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply Jim... we just had our pool relined a few days ago. These lights work fine when they don't "flash" ie... the "fast or slow color wash" cycling. The same thing happened shortly after installing the pool some 8 years ago, and I thought that the lights were just bad. I disconnected them at the junction box, and just used the pool with out any lights.
The other day, we hooked up the lights, and they worked just fine; on the "Fixed color"; ie.. no fast or slow color wash cycle. After doing some research, there were multiple posts on the net about the color cycling causing a spike in EMI, thus tripping the outlet. Again, they work fine in the fixed mode.
On poster stated that the builder of his pool installed an EMI filter in the box, and everything worked fine from there. I think I'm in the same boat.
Again, I don't believe that it's the lights, or the GFCI outlet, but one of EMI interference.
I've found this: Amazon.com: Intermatic Et-Nf Timer 1 Phase 24-277V Noise Filter: Industrial & Scientific
EMI filter on Amazon. I was just wondering who else followed a similar path.
I think that you're correct about installing the suppressor (filter), and seeing if it fixes the problem.
Oh, I'm activating the lights with an X10 controller; this may be causing even more EMI??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.