I drained the pool too far, it’s at least 12 inches below the skimmer, will it be ok? 30 ft round

I would say you are fine. You'll get enough snow/rain to put it back to where it should be soon enough. The only issue you might have in the meantime is really high wind. If you happen to see a nor'easter/bomb cyclone/blizzard coming you can add 8 inches just for piece of mind and let mother do the rest.

Reactions: Amandajo50
It should be. What are the black "strings"? I wonder about adding water but am unsure what is under the snow so am holding off on suggesting that right now.
The black strings are from my cover, it blew in a couple weeks ago, this is my second winter with the pool and it blew in last year too, might not bother with it next year, do you cover yours?

I would remove the strings to take away the risk of the cover pulling on the walls and causing them to bow. I have seen some damage done by covers so would re-think using it except to help with the leaf fall time.

I live in Florida so do not close my pool. My :crazy: husband still gets in it after a hot bath :shock:

...you thinking there is a bad storm with winds it could possibly damage the walls because so much is exposed?

Yes. Exactly what I was thinking. It can act like a sail or parachute. Yours is still mostly full so It would take some really strong winds but any given Winter storm is only a few days away. Adding some water now like @Poolmedic said is certainly the safest bet. Putting a new cover on after the refill would be even better. Depending on your time and finances of course.

Yes. Exactly what I was thinking. It can act like a sail or parachute. Yours is still mostly full so It would take some really strong winds but any given Winter storm is only a few days away. Adding some water now like @Poolmedic said is certainly the safest bet. Putting a new cover on after the refill would be even better. Depending on your time and finances of course.

I disagree. How deep was the water when it froze? 1 ft of water in a pool that size is 44,000 lbs. I'm guessing you still had at least 2 ft of water so thats 88,000 lbs. That pool isn't going anywhere, leave it alone till spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine started off right about where yours is. It is now almost to the returns lol (maybe 2 inches below). I do not use a cover so any rain/snow accumulation goes right into the pool (I scoop and keep it clean all winter despite it being “closed” lol). Yay for free water!!

Reactions: kimkats
Covers are so overrated if you don’t mind a little fall leaf scoopage or don’t have many trees near the pool lol. You could also use a mesh “leaf net cover”, as previously mentioned, in the fall when the leaves are falling then take it off before winter. So far my water is still crystal clear. I brought it to SLAM level before closing late (first week of November.....the leaves were a nightmare to keep up with!!) but zero regrets here!

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Wind. 8 inches of more water would reduce the exposed surface area by about half. Those walls are razor thin and can easily bend or collapse. In the picture it is fine on a regular mild wind day, but adding water would certainly be the safer bet.

Wind. 8 inches of more water would reduce the exposed surface area by about half. Those walls are razor thin and can easily bend or collapse. In the picture it is fine on a regular mild wind day, but adding water would certainly be the safer bet.

Thanks, I see the light!
My confusion was mistakenly thinking it was a vinyl sided pool like an Intex. Looking at the picture I see it most definitely is not.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.