I cannot pry off my filter lid

Jamisonjor

Mar 19, 2020
Texas
It is STUCK. I feel like I have tried everything I can think of. I have the lid opener that works with it, and I've used a plumbers wrench with it for extra leverage with no luck. WD40, Silicone, Pump on and off, mallet.

You can see the spacing is pretty tight and awkward. I'm perfectly fine with buying a new lid but I dont know how to get.this one off to install it.

Anyone have any tips and tricks they can recommend? I would be so thankful.

Attachments

• 20200319_154056.jpg
    20200319_154056.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200319_154601.jpg
    20200319_154601.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 72
J,

I no longer have that style of pump, but when I did, I had a similar problem..

I used 2, 2x4s, about 4' long, and 2 large "C" clamps.. I put one 2x4 on each side of the handle, 2" side down, and put one clamp at the top end of the lid, one at the bottom. Bacillary making the handle the handle 4' long, with the lid at one end.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be forewarned the more leverage the better but have a second person hold back the physical pump or else you will surely break some stuff there. Upon zooming up on the pump I see silicone by the output that telsl me be extra careful as it looks like it has been sealed due to a crack.

Hit it with 2 hammers from both ends at the same time. It will go.

I had the exact same problem last year. I bought some schedule 80 tubing to make more leverage and broke the handle. Got two rubber mallets and hit both sides at the same time. Took a while but it worked.

Reactions: wireform
Haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it but I unfortunately still have not gotten it off.

I've tried with one hammer and rubber mallet at the same time and that didn't work. About beat my lid to Crud. Going to get another rubber mallet so I dont break it.

Going to try the 2x4 method with some hot water and clamps later today. Was looking at it yesterday and honestly dont know that a 2x4 will fit through the pipes nearby. Super frustrating, that's half the problem that I can't get good leverage on either side

Brake cleaner or starting fluid will dissolve any silicone caulk or gummie o-ring in there. You will need a new o-ring if you do this! It may take a few treatments over a couple of days, but it is my last-ditch effort for stuck compression fittings.
If it is thread-locked the heat should help.
I have had to chisel out the center of the lid, break the male thread and pry it out with a screwdriver and needle-nose pliers. Not fun. Lets hope it doesn't come to that.
Once you get it open, clean the threads on the lid and the bowl with a scrub pad. Lubricate new o-ring with o-ring lubricant, but do not lubricate threads.
Good luck!

Make a big "T" handle out of 2x4s.

At the bottom use (2) 2x4s on either side of a vertical 2x4 and put a horizontal 2x4 across the top.

Or, make a square frame with 2x4s. Two vertical 2x4s with two horizontal 2x4s bolted on top and two on bottom separated by the vertical 2x4s.

Slip the gap over the lid and twist.

Screenshot_20200323-150412_Gallery.jpg
The red is 2x3, the green are wood blocking, the blue are screws. Not sure if you have the room but that will work. Make the ends of the 2x3 as long as you can work with for leverage.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.