I am really liking my WaterGuru!

Gigem

Jun 26, 2011
I've had the WaterGuru for a month or so now, and I really like it. It is easy to setup if you have WiFi that reaches the skimmer area of your pool. I find that I use less chemicals now, because it keeps such a close eye on things for me. I am too lazy to test my water ever day, so this thing is great. Water has been perfect since the day after I got it.

One thing I wish they would add to the app is notifications even when everything is OK. I would like to get info about each test done, regardless of results. I think they are adding that feature now. Currently it only notifies you if you have something wrong.

I am not going to lie, I gave up on the TFP method of pool care because it was too much work for me. I went back to the dreaded 3" chlorine pucks. But I am thinking that with my WaterGuru doing the testing every day, I might be able to go back to Clorox. I need to think about it.

But for now, if anyone is considering a WaterGuru, I give it 2 thumbs up. Not cheap by any means, but it is working for me big time.

We have had several TFP members give WaterGuru good reviews. It's certainly a more expensive way to do daily monitoring of the pool but, if it fits a person budget and daily schedule (life is hectic), then there's no reason to be against using it. It fits squarely with TFP's philosophy - teach people what the real effects of chemicals are on their pool water, teach people to test their pool water themselves, and help pool owners to solve problems. I don't see how using a WaterGuru violates any of those tenets.

Which brings me to another point - the idea that TFP is "against those dreaded pucks" is an oversimplification at best and a falsehood at worst. The mission of TFP is to teach people how to care for their pools themselves and that involves educating people on what chemicals actually do. The idea that this methodology only accepts liquid chlorine is just not right - what is taught is that liquid chlorine, aka bleach, has the least number of bad side effects for your pool. Can a pool be managed using trichlor pucks and dichlor powder or cal-hypo? Absolutely. It's just that using those chemicals will force the pool owner to have to monitor their water more carefully and drain as necessary when other parameters get out of spec , like having too much CYA. It's all about knowing what you're doing and being mindful of your pool.

So, in effect, you never really gave up on TFP pool care, you simply chose a different management style ;) Now giving up on testing yourself is not a great idea. I don't test every day because I know my pool's needs pretty well. I maybe test every 2 to 3 days and I use a very simple daily tester, the K-1004 which gives me FC/CC, pH and TA. I save all the other tests for the weekend and, because CYA and CH change so slowly, I usually only test those maybe once per month. Testing is the key aspect because you can't hope to fix or change what you don't measure.

Last edited:
+1 on the Water Guru. I am a pretty big fan and has made keeping up with the chemicals pretty darn easy. I still do my TFP tests, but am only doing them once every couple of weeks. At first, I was paranoid...but since the numbers mirror my drop tests pretty close, I have given in to "trust" the Water Guru. I am also "guilty" of using pucks on occasion. Most recently, my CYA was a bit low, so used some to gradually bring it back up. The WG made sure the PH levels stayed within range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.