I am new to your forum and website

Hi there Kathy!~ Welcome aboard Trouble Free Pools.

We don't believe phosphates are of any concern as long as you keep your chlorine at the proper elevation based on your CYA level.
Chlorine kills algae. Phosphates are algae food. No algae, who cares if the food is there??

I would definitely worry about your chlorine level being 0.17....that's an invitation to algae to come have a party at your expense.

How do you chlorinate? Do you always rely on pool store tests??

Let me lay some visual aids on ya, along with some fast reads-
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

Holla back with questions :)

Maddie :flower:

Hi there Kathy!~ Welcome aboard Trouble Free Pools.

We don't believe phosphates are of any concern as long as you keep your chlorine at the proper elevation based on your CYA level.
Chlorine kills algae. Phosphates are algae food. No algae, who cares if the food is there??

I would definitely worry about your chlorine level being 0.17....that's an invitation to algae to come have a party at your expense.

How do you chlorinate? Do you always rely on pool store tests??

Let me lay some visual aids on ya, along with some fast reads-
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

Holla back with questions :)

Maddie :flower:
Oh my God you guys are amazing! I love you already. Thank you so much for your quick response and great advice. In answer to your questions I typically use powder shock some with chlorine and some non-chlorine shock and I have always use the dipsticks to test my water but just recently went to a pool store with a water symbol Which is where I got the readings that I provided to you. for as many years as I've had a pool I am pretty much still illiterate and intimidated by the whole process of the chemicals. so given the information I gave you should I shock my pool first and then get some stabilizer in there? I so appreciate your wisdom and advice thank you again, Kathy

I just recently last night as a matter of fact, stumbled across you guys and you guys are amazing. Your wealth of knowledge and generosity with your knowledge is almost mind bending. I will do whatever I can to help you guys out with a donation. I need lots of help because as long as I've owned a pool I am still intimidated by all of the knowledge required and still remain to be confused LOL. Thank you all again 4 your warm welcomes and friendly nature.

Thank you for the kind words and I had the same realization when I stumbled in here also.
There are so many fine folks here with mountains of experience that are happy to help.
No advertisements, no slick sales pitches and 1000s of trouble free pool owners. This site fulfills the dream of the world wide web each and every day. It also confirms that most people do have a good heart.
Check this out for some good tips...... Read This BEFORE You Post - Trouble Free Pool

Welcome!!

I think we all feel the same way. Pretty soon you'll be helping others and you'll wonder why you ever felt overwhelmed. Actually, you'll know exactly why you have felt that way because the reality is that the pool stores and clueless pool people made it way more complicated than it needs to be.

Post any questions you have. The wonderful thing about TFP is that even when a question has been asked and answered a million times before... there's always someone happy to answer it again and again and again...

:lovetfp:

Thank you for the kind words and I had the same realization when I stumbled in here also.
There are so many fine folks here with mountains of experience that are happy to help.
No advertisements, no slick sales pitches and 1000s of trouble free pool owners. This site fulfills the dream of the world wide web each and every day. It also confirms that most people do have a good heart.
Check this out for some good tips...... Read This BEFORE You Post - Trouble Free Pool
I have to say that tfp restores people's faith in the honest people that are out there to help. I can tell there's no strings attached and it does not lead you astray to commercials and try to suck you into things you didn't start out looking for. you guys are amazing and I think you from the bottom of my heart.

Reactions: Oly and frogabog
Welcome!!

I think we all feel the same way. Pretty soon you'll be helping others and you'll wonder why you ever felt overwhelmed. Actually, you'll know exactly why you have felt that way because the reality is that the pool stores and clueless pool people made it way more complicated than it needs to be.

Post any questions you have. The wonderful thing about TFP is that even when a question has been asked and answered a million times before... there's always someone happy to answer it again and again and again...

:lovetfp:
your words are so encouraging and they have restored my faith in the good people that are out there. I am having a problem finding where I do my signature but I will keep looking.

Thank you again so much everybody to all the wonderful people out there!! I do hope someday I can help people out the way you guys are helping me.

Reactions: frogabog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so here I go,
My water is green and has been turning for the last 3 or 4 days. I have added probably 8 lb of powdered shock chlorine and non-chlorine form. I've been running my pump 24/7 since I opened it and following are my test results.
Free chlorine .17 PPM
Total chlorine .17 PPM
Combined chlorine 0
PH 7.4
Alkalinity with stabilizer correction 71 PPM
Cya 1 PPM
Copper Point 3 PPM
Iron 0 PPM
Phosphate over 4665 ppb
Total dissolved solids 800 PPM

I hope I have given you enough information my guess is I need liquid shock and I have four gallons of that and then after I get a chlorine reading do I add the stabilizer in a sock?

I bet you need to get your cya up and SLAM...
But wait for a member with more experience ?

Cya

Slam

Okay so here I go,
My water is green and has been turning for the last 3 or 4 days. I have added probably 8 lb of powdered shock chlorine and non-chlorine form. I've been running my pump 24/7 since I opened it and following are my test results.
Free chlorine .17 PPM
Total chlorine .17 PPM
Combined chlorine 0
PH 7.4
Alkalinity with stabilizer correction 71 PPM
Cya 1 PPM
Copper Point 3 PPM
Iron 0 PPM
Phosphate over 4665 ppb
Total dissolved solids 800 PPM

I hope I have given you enough information my guess is I need liquid shock and I have four gallons of that and then after I get a chlorine reading do I add the stabilizer in a sock?
First of all, you do need your own proper test kit. We aren't able to give specific advice based on pool store results because they are rarely, if ever accurate. The money you'll save not buying potions and magic cures that don't work is the money you can spend on a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Since your water is green, you will need to perform the SLAM Process which most likely will require some extra reagents which will lend you to need the XL Option, or if you get a Taylor-K-2006 make sure to get the K-2006c.

Add the chlorine (liquid shock) any time. Stabilizer too. You'll want to squish the sock every 20-30 minutes or whenever you can to get it to disperse into the water. Use PoolMath to determine how much of anything you need to add. Don't add too much stabilizer, let's start with 20ppm for now. You can add more later, after you get a good test result from your own kit but for SLAM, it's better to be on the low end which will save you some $ in chlorine.

Also, it's best to start a thread in the Algae Prevention & Treatment forum rather than this one for the assistance you're needing.

In the meantime, check out this video:

No, first step is to invest in one of the recommended test kits so we have data we can believe and then use to offer advice ;) Test Kits Compared

The TF100 from tftestkits.net is the best value.

Add about 8ppm of FC into the water using liquid chlorine and then 3ppm more each day until you have the test kit.

If your pool is already green dont worry too much, wait for your test kit and post some result. The endgame is the same you need a SLAM. You can add 1 gallon a day of bleach each day so it doesnt get worst. Start looking for best price of liquid chlorine in WM, HD,Lowes or your local hardware store. You will also need Muriatic acid and CYA.

If your pool is already green dont worry too much, wait for your test kit and post some result. The endgame is the same you need a SLAM. You can add 1 gallon a day of bleach each day so it doesnt get worst. Start looking for best price of liquid chlorine in WM, HD,Lowes or your local hardware store. You will also need Muriatic acid and CYA.
Is liquid chlorine the same as bleach? I have a case of shock is that the same thing?

Reactions: Tena

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.