I am driving myself crazy with the location, shape and size, help!

Lookielou

Apr 28, 2020
Midwest
I would welcome any advice on this. Family of four, 12 yr old son, 14 yr old daughter. we live in the Midwest and are planning a vinyl liner inground pool. We live on a pie shaped lot with the point to the backyard, with a gazebo that the hubs and I don‘t want to get rid right in the middle. I have two possible locations for the pool.
Option One in between the house and gazebo. Max pool 18x36 with pool 12ft from house.
Option two to the side of the gazebo away from the house, angled different from house, can’t see it from all the windows. Size -almost unlimited. Eats up a lot of the grassy area.
I love the idea of view of the pool from the house with option one. However option two can get us an L shaped pool, but eat up the grass area and a potential garden. Both kids plays sports, soccer and volleyball and want enough yard for that. I believe we can’t do volleyball in the pool with l shaped? Kids do love a diving board but said they would go without if we had to. I waffle back and forth on this. I dont like the slope of the pool to the deep end, I’m very short. but honestly I will just be on a raft or sitting the bench on the pool so that shouldn’t be as big of an issue as I seem to make it. Also, deep end or not? I was all set for a sport pool, and now ? I am not an indecisive person and this is driving me crazy. How did you decide? Give me any pointers you have. Hopefully I have provided enough info. Thanks in advance!

I'm in favor of whichever one makes the pool a focal point from the house. I want to look out the back window or walk out the door and be at the pool, I don't want to have to walk around the corner to even see it. But maybe that's just me.

Plus I wouldn't want to give up the rest of the yard. Sounds like the only disadvantage of option 1 is it couldn't be L shaped, but lots of other advantages. I vote stick with option 1.

Got an aerial/Google Maps view?

Since your asking for opinions, view of the pool from house hands down. Looks like there are more positives in your situation than the negatives other than view. A pic of the yard might change that but probably not, but would be nice to include. You might get other ideas you have not thought of if people can see what your working with. Now for being practical, the deeper the pool, the colder the water and more volume to heat, if you plan on heating it. So I say sports pool. All depends on how you plan to use it.

Last edited:
This is what I did: I got some grade stakes and some nylon cord to stake out the pool in a couple of locations. It helps to visualize things. Also unless your lot is very level you might want to consider elevation; placing the pool on higher ground.

In case the simplest answer escaped you, there will be heavy equipment building the pool that can relocate the gazebo in a matter of minutes. Move it further back towards the point and you can sit there admiring the pool towards the house, Then go back inside and admire the pool with the gazebo behind it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.