Hybrid pool refinish or paint?

Jejefferson

Apr 17, 2021
Memphis, TN
Hi Guys,
We have a 1970's hybrid pool with concrete bottom fiberglass side panels. If I'm not mistake I believe the previous owner had the bottom covered in fiberglass. I was looking to have it professional refinished but the prices are around the same amount of having it removed and filled in which is what my wife is leaning towards. To save money and beat the fill in quote I'm wondering if I can tackle this my self ie. sanding, patching the 2 cracks and gel coating it. I have attached photos I am trying to figure out if this is something I can tackle or if Im just spinning my wheels. What gel coat or paint would you recommend or do you guys think it would be to much. I am a decently handi guy. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Jason

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 4.25.02 PM.pnghole needing patch.pngfloor texture.pngcoping .pngSide was texture.png

Gel coat is a pretty intensive process. I would suggest doing research on that. Paint does not last. Maybe one season. Current day paint is nothing like that produced in the past.

What about a vinyl liner? The current surface would need to be smooth and have no sharp edges.

Hi Guys,
We have a 1970's hybrid pool with concrete bottom fiberglass side panels. If I'm not mistake I believe the previous owner had the bottom covered in fiberglass. I was looking to have it professional refinished but the prices are around the same amount of having it removed and filled in which is what my wife is leaning towards. To save money and beat the fill in quote I'm wondering if I can tackle this my self ie. sanding, patching the 2 cracks and gel coating it. I have attached photos I am trying to figure out if this is something I can tackle or if Im just spinning my wheels. What gel coat or paint would you recommend or do you guys think it would be to much. I am a decently handi guy. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Jason

View attachment 401870View attachment 401860View attachment 401861View attachment 401862View attachment 401864
I believe Family fun pools in Ohio is still doing residential hybrid pools. See link Residential Swimming Pools | Family Fun Pools

Here is my friends hybrid pool that was left unattended (no cover either) for 30+ years. They were able to just re-paint the bottom and the steps. They are on their second year and it still looks pretty good. They will probably have to re-paint every 3 years. They also had to caulk some of the joints they discovered were leaking.

Attachments

• Friend's Pool.jpg
    Friend's Pool.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 39
Here is my friends hybrid pool that was left unattended (no cover either) for 30+ years. They were able to just re-paint the bottom and the steps. They are on their second year and it still looks pretty good. They will probably have to re-paint every 3 years. They also had to caulk some of the joints they discovered were leaking.
Thanks im currently in the process of fixing cracks and painting. Your friends pool looks great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.