Jun 29, 2019
Boerne, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy!

Wish I'd found TFP before we started building a pool. I've learned a lot reading the forums and the vital links and Pool School.

335 days after the dig started, our pool was plastered and filling. That was 25 days ago and I received my TF-100 test kit today. Before that, I was using Clorox and HTH guess strips. Today I compared those with the TF-100. Clorox got the FC and CYA right and all the other stuff wrong. HTH got the pH, TA and CH right but all the rest wrong. Having said that, I'd be willing to bet the experts here could have made guesses that were just as accurate, based on me saying it's a new plaster pool with a waterfall that went through acid startup and the PB has only added a few tablets.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to the folks who run the forums and all the contributors who help us.

@GDN

335 days: we went with a local PB and later found out the owner is a full-time firefighter and pool building is a side gig. They're nice folks and seem to hire sub-contractors who do high-quality work, but they would go up to almost 3 months at a time without actually doing anything on the pool. Once the weather turned colder, that took the urgency off the build. They just didn't seem to have a Plan B for when their primary subs fell through. Subs are also more willing to work when they're getting paid in a timely manner. We were probably more patient than most folks but firing them wouldn't have helped either of us too much. Now we're working through the final things, such as connecting the auto water level thing, getting them to bond the equipment, getting rid of some footprints in the plaster, cleaning up some and pool school.

IMG_5045.jpg

Reactions: GDN
Very nice, looks like it turned out great. You have a lot of patience. Glad you recognized that the patience can be a good thing, looks like it turned out OK. Very nice design that fits very well. I'm sure with you are starting to really appreciate it, the heat cranked up in TX this last week.

Yes, to completed build and yes, to starting to appreciate, with the heat on the way. And for anyone in the family who says the water's chilly (78), I invite them to come out and do a little yard work with me... once you're burning up, it feels nice to jump in. Yesterday water was up to 83 and with air temp getting up closer to 100 this week, I'm sure it will get warmer.

The original design was curvy on the right side but then on the 18th day after the dig, the PB realized they hadn't filed for the permit. It was immediately denied by the city, because it was too close to the fence/property line. So then it was adjusted to be straight on the right, with the waterfall and the tanning ledge added.

My wife gets the credit for all design decisions (color of plaster, color of flagstone, color of tile). I handled the other stuff (irrigation system rebuild, sod and now water chemistry).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
78 is too cool for me. I started to comment that your picture looks very shady, however I don't know which way it is situated and if that is just a short period of time each day. My pool is in that boat. We have a big Live Oak just 10' from the west side of the pool. We rarely get above 84, which we did hit over the weekend, but then down to 81 over night. It will have to be a string of 100 degree days before we hit 86, which is my preferred temp. We are considering taking the tree out finally, but I know we'll then have the 94 degree water trouble, so regardless of which way - I don't get in the pool as much as I'd hoped.

There are many reasons for considering to take the tree out too however. It literally covers half the pool - acorns start dropping in late August for 3 months, leaves and catkins fall for 2 to 3 months in the spring. We have to do something to the pool daily for almost 6 months and it just isn't what I wanted.

Yes, we're pretty shady. That photo is mid-morning, facing due south, so trees are on the west side. We trimmed back some of the hackberry trees before filling the pool, but left most. Then a storm took out the best shade tree. I bought a Poolmaster Big Sucker to get the leaves up after storms.

What are you using for daily cleaning? Looks like you have a pressure side cleaner if I see the hose in the pool. Or a robot? I don't have major complaints about the Pentair Racer, it does a good job after a storm or during the normal onslaught of acorns, etc, but the Robots seem to be getting really good and some with baskets big enough I wouldn't have to empty it every day. I just don't know how long the tree has. It may just get trimmed really really far back.

Polaris Black Max, with 3/4 hp booster pump for a few hours every AM, if it's a "normal" day, although we just plastered 32 days ago, so I've only used it for a few days. It picks up leaves and dirt (little flagstone pieces that are still breaking off) from the bottom.

We've had a night or two of storms/high winds where there were lots of leaves out the next morning. For those, I'll use the pole skimmer, then the Big Sucker to get the stuff off the bottom. I just know the hackberries are going to be a mess in the fall.

I mentioned we trimmed back a little before the plaster. Here's my version of "a little."IMG_4390.jpg

• Love