South Caribbean.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi there, This is a great site and helped me to get my 32x16 rectangular Ultra frame pool up with no probs whatsoever (that was 2 weeks ago between Xmas and New Year).
Now turning to the next part of the project to hardpipe some parts of the water flow - as we need to move pump (Intex 3000 GPH and Intex Salt/ozone SWG) to a pump room, and make space for other things.
I followed this thread for most of my build (Thank You, PNCSmith): New Install - Intex Ultra Frame 32' x 16' x 52" AG Pool

Would anyone know how the connection to the pool itself in the pics attached are made? This is the location of the drain plug for the pool, and I would also like to utilize that location as an intake to the pump just as is done in that thread.
Think I searched the entire forum (over a week of searching) for how that was done, and can it be done with the pool filled (would be a shame to empty, as I only just got the water balance right, and it takes 2.5 days to refill). No intensions to take this down again unless absolutely needed.
Any help or advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140607_164642[1] (2).jpg
    20140607_164642[1] (2).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20140607_164642[1].jpg
    20140607_164642[1].jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 105
It looks to me like the drain plug was cut out and a drain installed. I don;t see how you would do that with water int he pool. Also it does not look like that drain is VGBA compliant and is an entrapment hazard.

Reactions: Teald024
Thanks for the info AJW22. Arnt the Intex suction/inlet fittings and covers VBGA compliant? Asking as I am new to this, and after going through what was sent, they seem to be. The one in the pic, and the one I intend to use will be Intex inlets. Also, these pools have 2 drain plugs on opposite ends for draining down the pool. The intention is to replace one of them with an intex or Hayward intake. There are no other places in these pools with the structural strength to support a 2nd inlet to the pump.

Hoping to hear from others, too, on their thoughts on this and my original question.

I can't be of much help, because I can't even figure out what's what with your plumbing. (BTW, the pics are pretty small.) But if you can remove the drain cover from the inside of the pool, maybe you could use a drain plug temporarily, and then replumb however you need to.

drain plug.jpg

Thanks Dirk.
This is what my temporary plumbing look like now ( pic below)
Skimmer ( in wall) ordered and not in pool yet. The intent is to plumb similar to the url link attached in the first post. The pics there are from that link. They are not mines.
The final solution will use the 2 current pool holes as returns, and the skimmer and converted drain plug as the 2 inlets to the pump.
Hope this helps.
Screenshot_20210112-082452_Gallery.jpg

I don't see how it would be possible to install a VGBA-compliant drain cover in the corner like that. They are typically 8 inch diameter. In addition to the proper cover, you need a vacuum release or other anti-entrapment device.

Are you sure you can't install a second through-wall skimmer, perhaps directly across from the one you have planned? If not, downsize the pump and go with single inlet, single return. Better to have to run the pump more hours than to have someone killed or maimed by the pump.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There are no other places in these pools with the structural strength to support a 2nd inlet to the pump.

I have a 16 x 32 as well. I have cut in a skimmer. I cut in a suction and return on an end wall for my solar pump/filter on a timer. I am planning to cut in another return for my main pump. Have not had a problem doing so.

The walls of these pools move a lot when kids are in there splashing. I am planning to use hose to transition from the PVC to the pool wall when i hard plumb in the spring.

I do not have any lines in the lower curve of the wall like you original pic though.

Andrew

Hi @Lesmon !
If I were u I would just omit the hack on the drain & just leave it as the drain plug it is since that set up very much looks like an entrapment / drowning hazard as mentioned above when connected to suction. Your other plans should provide plenty sufficient circulation.

Thanks Dirk.
This is what my temporary plumbing look like now ( pic below)
Skimmer ( in wall) ordered and not in pool yet. The intent is to plumb similar to the url link attached in the first post. The pics there are from that link. They are not mines.
The final solution will use the 2 current pool holes as returns, and the skimmer and converted drain plug as the 2 inlets to the pump.
Hope this helps.
OK, now I get it. Not your pool, you're looking to recreate that.

I actually removed my main drains, so I am a proponent of, and often recommend in new build threads, omitting the drains altogether. Several reasons, not the least of which is the safety aspect. If you need to drain your pool, a $50 sump pump will do the job quickly, so you don't really need a drain at all. And a sump pump will likely get out more of the water than a drain in the corner like in the pic you posted. Heck, if you're not is a hurry a garden hose can siphon your pool near-dry. Drains do virtually nothing for circulation. What moves water is the returns (pushing), not drains (sucking).

You can mount a set of twin suction ports (each with proper covers) in the side of the pool, like the one you have now, to increase flow. But I really like the second skimmer idea. Not only would that help keep your pool clean, but the suction port of a skimmer is pretty well protected from humans.

Of the two holes you have now, make them both returns (or plug one, or turn one into a suction port for a suction-side vacuum), and then add two skimmers, one on each side of the pool. And then plumb another return on the other side, and you're golden. Place one skimmer opposite the prevailing wind direction (where all the leaves tend to gather). Forget about the drain. You'll have to lose some water to install everything, but not all, and the cost of the water you'll save (by not draining 100%) will pay for your sump pump. Bob's-yer-uncle.

This contribution is excellent. 2 skimmers is an option, but I live in the Caribbean and everything has to be ordered and shipped, so costs doubles. I have a skimmer on the way already.
AndrewD, are you able to send pics of the locations of your new holes - will be interested to see how it is done.
Happy I could scrap the drain cut, didnt think I could cut elsewhere, except for the skimmer.
Plan now will be skimmer, suction, and 2 returns. All I would need to cut is the 2nd suction, or use the current one and just cut a 2nd return. Easy.
Downwind skimmer makes so much sense!. And also the flex hose between pool wall and hard piping seems a must with the amount of movement in these pools.
Guys, you are the best. Really appreciate.
Keep the ideas coming in.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now your talkin'! I thought of another good reason to skip the drain idea. If that ever failed, you'd lose all your water. Worst case with your new plan is the water would stop at the lowest leaking port, which is what, a foot of water. Mo' betta! I like the flex pipe idea, good thinking.
Guys, you are the best. Really appreciate.
Yah, well let's see what you say when I show up at your door with sandy feet and a sleeping bag! ;)

I've spent a lot of time in les Caraïbes. Some of the best times of my life. Miss it...

Last edited:
Plan now will be skimmer, suction, and 2 returns. All I would need to cut is the 2nd suction, or use the current one and just cut a 2nd return. Easy.
At first I was wondering why you needed to cut another hole, my pool has three (4, after I added a skimmer). Two inlets and one return. Then I realized you’re not in the US and your pool doesn’t have to comply with the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act. Though it would be very advisable to follow it anyway.

Are you upgrading your pump? If not why the two returns instead of the default one?

jseyfert3 brings up a most excellent point. Not only are you adding suction and return ports, plus a skimmer, you're moving your pump farther away from your pool. I don't know how to calculate it all, but your current pump might not be up for all that. Something to consider before you cut...

I basically have the same pool, I went with 2 returns in the old suction ports, 1 suction side pool vacuum in the old return and a new skimmer, works as well as can be :)

If you can find these it will make your life MUCH easier, I used 1 on each connection to the pool, skimmer, and my in ground pump suction and return side.. the pump, skimmer and through wall fittings are all 1.5 inch threads that these fit perfect, I went with 2 inch slip on the pipe end but 1.5 inch will work fine also...

You should be able to find all these on the internet near you...

these are 1.5 inch to 1.5 inch pipe CMP High Temp Union 21063-150-000 - Pool Supply 4 Less

these are the through wall fitting to replace the ones in the pool now, I found the easy way to cut them is with a soldering iron :)

Hayward SP1023G Vinyl Fiberglass Inlet Fittings for Pools Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023G Vinyl Fiberglass Inlet Fittings for Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Garden & Outdoor

Hope these pics will help.. (y)

Last edited:
So Casey, no issues using PVC pipe everywhere instead of some flex, to account for the way the walls move around a bit?

5 years and not 1 issue, no leaks what so ever.. You can see 1 of the pipes in the following picture, I used 45's to get the pipe under the poles and have the ability to move around with the pool... the side of the pool does flex about an inch in each direction... :)

Reactions: Dirk
I basically have the same pool, I went with 2 returns in the old suction ports, 1 suction side pool vacuum in the old return and a new skimmer, works as well as can be :)
That's exactly what I want, but my pool only has one suction and one return. The pics and info helps alot. I could probably live with one return, and put up a fountain instead. This is a large pool, and need to get the water moving more, I feel.

@cowboycasey, are you able to post pics of actual piping between pump and pool, an aspect view (closeup not required). Happy to hear your pool is up for 5 years and going strong. With the immediate elbow at the fitting, the flex comes naturally from the PC lengths - great idea!.

Yah, well let's see what you say when I show up at your door with sandy feet and a sleeping bag! ;)
I've spent a lot of time in les Caraïbes. Some of the best times of my life. Miss it...
@Dirk, if ever you make it to the southernmost island, look me up. You will be welcomed.

This has given me lots of ideas and many options for configuring what I need vs what I want. The pump room is only 5ft from the pool and close to the drain plug I showed in the first pic. I think the intex SF60110 @2450GPH is sufficient, isn't it?

That's exactly what I want, but my pool only has one suction and one return. The pics and info helps alot. I could probably live with one return, and put up a fountain instead. This is a large pool, and need to get the water moving more, I feel.

@cowboycasey, are you able to post pics of actual piping between pump and pool, an aspect view (closeup not required). Happy to hear your pool is up for 5 years and going strong. With the immediate elbow at the fitting, the flex comes naturally from the PC lengths - great idea!.

@Dirk, if ever you make it to the southernmost island, look me up. You will be welcomed.

This has given me lots of ideas and many options for configuring what I need vs what I want. The pump room is only 5ft from the pool and close to the drain plug I showed in the first pic. I think the intex SF60110 @2450GPH is sufficient, isn't it?

these are the best shots I have of the actual pipe :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.