How to verify pump working without filter?

PSJ

Apr 8, 2020
Dallas, TX
All -

I've been troubleshooting today after the wonderful texas deepfreeze. I know my DE filter is busted (DE Filter - Texas Freeze )and am trying to figure out if my pump is still ok so I can start ordering parts if needed. Since my filter is busted, I went ahead and disconnected it from the overall system.

I had the pump running, and we lost power for about 3 days. After the power went out, I turned off the pump, so I don't believe it burned out trying to move a block of ice when power came back. The motor spins just fine when I turn it on. Pump is a Pentair Challenger. The pump did freeze full of ice during this time as the power went out in the middle of the night and by the time I tried to drain it everything was already frozen.

To troubleshoot the pump, I've closed off the jandy valve to the main drain, and filled up the pipes to two skimmers by running the hose for several minutes. I can see water flow back into the pool at the skimmers, so I'm pretty sure the pipe is full. When I turn on the pump, it'll spit out a little bit of water that's in the pump basket (to basically the filter inlet- which is disconnected as I mentioned above). However, I can't seem to get it to maintain suction. The pool is full of water as we've had plenty of rain the last few days as well, so I don't think that's a problem either.

Since it can push out that small bit of water, I suspect the impeller is ok (though if someone could confirm I'd appreciate). Would the filter being disconnected not allow the pump to prime properly (Since its a bit of an 'open' system? Is there any other good way for me to check if this pump needs any work while I wait for a filter to arrive?

No spa or water features either.

Thanks in advance

My guess is the ice cracked the impeller. We have seen a few of those.

With an open output pipe the pump should put a fire hose of water out the pipe.

PSJ,

If your pump is connected to the skimmer and you turn it on, it should suck water from the pool and blow it out the pipe that was connected to the MPV... like a fire truck...

I've taken pumps and directly connected the input with PVC pipe into the pool and then taken the output and put a PVC pipe that is just pointed to the pool.. Blows water out like crazy.

I suspect the seal around the pump lid is compromised or warped and now you have a giant suction side air leak..

Sorry,

Jim R.

PJS,

That is what I "assume" is bad... I'd inspect it and see if you can see any cracks.. then I'd seal it up with electrical tape and try it again.. If it worked you'd know for sure it was bad.

Jim R.

Writing out my findings for posterity in case anyone finds this thread -

I went back out to the pump today to try again. Discovered a crack in the trap assembly just below the strainer pot lid. I was trying to get the lid off and saw the entire body was twisting. Looked closely and the whole lid and thread assembly broke off. I'm guessing the ice in it pushed on the vertical axis against the pot lid.

At this point, looks like that piece is sold out in many places or 250+. Might be time for a VS pump upgrade.

Edit - I also looked at the impeller and it seems to be in good shape...so we will see what I end up getting

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They got this one on camera too and it was a stolen rental car, so the police don't have much to work with.

Seems like the market for "used" equipment is going to be high in Texas for a while. I locked my gate after hearing the news, but I can't see my equipment from inside of the house so it would not be hard for someone to take.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.