How to use skimmer vacuum

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
I’m buying a skimmer vacuum head and hose so that I can clean up some fine dirt and debris that the Polaris doesn’t catch (goes right through the fine mesh bag). I’ve never used a skimmer vacuum before, so I want to make sure that I don’t do it wrong. I have a valve that I can turn from Main Drain to Skimmer. I understand that this valve needs to be in the Skimmer position in order to vacuum, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I turn off the pump, move the valve, then turn the pump back on, or can I move the valve while the pump is running?
2. Should I connect the hose to the skimmer before moving the valve to Skimmer, or after?
3. I have two skimmers, and I’ve been advised to plug up the skimmer that doesn’t have the hose connected in order to improve the suction while I’m using the vacuum. At what point in the process should I plug up that other skimmer?

Thanks!

I would do it like this:

1. Connect the head to the hose and pole and drop in the water.
2. Plug the skimmer you're not going to use.
3. Fill the hose with water either by pushing it down vertically, hand over hand into the water or by holding the skimmer end in front of a return until all the air blows out (I prefer the former option).
4. Connect the hose to the skimmer, ideally via a vacuum plate so that you can leave the basket in place.
5a. If there's enough suction in part 4 to hold the plate in place, move the valve to skimmer.
Or 5b. If 4 doesn't provide enough suction while you move the valve, move it before step 4 or get a helper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.