How to transition to liquid chlorine with high CYA levels

00xavier

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2013
Melrose, NY
My current CYA level is 90 due to the use of Pro Team High Tech chlorine tabs. I would like to switch to liquid chlorine for the duration of this swim season (beginning of October) without draining 1/3 of the pool water. Can I switch to liquid chlorine now with high CYA levels? How much extra chlorine (and how often will I need to add it) will I need to use now if I do not drain 1/3 of the pool until October?

You'll need to maintain the proper FC for your CYA level which you can find here Chlorine/CYA Chart. You can certainly maintain it over the short term but it's not quite as cost effective. Your minimum FC looks to be 7 with a target level of 10. You'll have to add as much bleach/liquid chlorine as it takes to keep it above 7 at all times based on how much you lose per day. I'd bump it to 12 once you start using liquid and see how much you lose each day and go from there. As an example, you'd need 149 oz of 12.5% bleach to go from 7 to 12 FC. The Chlorine/CYA chart plus Pool Math will tell you all you need to know to maintain as long as you're currently algae free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.