how to take apart multiport valve with no screws

May 10, 2014
Falls Church, VA
Sand is blowing back into my pool through the returns, so I want to take apart the multiport valve to check it. My valve is made by VRAC and has no screws. It looks like maybe the upper plastic part screws onto the lower part. The top part has notches around the perimeter. It looks like maybe the idea is to tap those with a hammer and screwdriver to remove the top part -- but I'd like some assurance before I do that, so I don't break anything.0608171606.jpg

There is no name on the filter body itself, just VRAC on the multiport valve, along with Code 22358 and Serial Number 07318-3260. Googling has not turned up anything useful yet.

- - - Updated - - -

And now I'm wondering if I should even bother taking apart the multiport valve, or just bite the bullet and vacuum out the sand to look for a broken lateral. Could a damaged spider gasket or other problem in the multiport valve cause sand to return to the pool?

The tube is an air bleeder tube. It should have a screen at the end.

Are there screws under the multiport label?

No screws under the label.

The tube does not have a screen at the end. Could the sand be getting back into the pool through that tube? It seems unlikely, as that tube has been that way since i installed this filter one or two years ago, and I never had the sane problem until now. (Also, the tube is so narrow that it seems unlikely sand would pass through it.) But how does this tube work to bleed air? The top of the tube is under water. Is it supposed to stick up above the water level?

My best guess is broken laterals. I'm taking my sand filter apart and replacing mine tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.