How to replace multiport valve?

Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
My multiport valve is on it's way out. Aside from leaking, the handle is about to break. I'd like to replace it before that happens. It's a model multiport SM-20-3.

What are the steps I should take to replace this? I've only over dealt with quick connections before...

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 8.05.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-01 at 8.05.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-01 at 8.05.58 AM.png

A lot depends on how it was plumbed. All the connections into the multiport are threaded but depending on how the plumbing was set up around the multiport you may or may not be able to remove (and reuse) the plumbing. I did one and wasn't able to reuse the old plumbing because of this. When I redid it I put in unions so future multiport service could be done without cutting any plumbing.

A lot depends on how it was plumbed. All the connections into the multiport are threaded but depending on how the plumbing was set up around the multiport you may or may not be able to remove (and reuse) the plumbing. I did one and wasn't able to reuse the old plumbing because of this. When I redid it I put in unions so future multiport service could be done without cutting any plumbing.

In the pictures above, the unions into the filter are clearly screw on, but I can't quite tell with the others if they're glued or screwed on. Is this something that someone more familiar would be able to tell by looking at the pics?

The other PVC pipes also screw in - notice the ends closest to the multi-port have an area to use a wrench to tighten them. Post a picture showing more of your plumbing and we can suggest places to cut and where to put in unions.

In the pictures above, the unions into the filter are clearly screw on, but I can't quite tell with the others if they're glued or screwed on. Is this something that someone more familiar would be able to tell by looking at the pics?

I can pretty much tell from your pics that you will need to cut most of the PVC.

As jtpipkin said, I'd look for the internals and rebuild that valve unless there's something majorly wrong with it structurally.

They sure didn't do you any favors when they installed it. :(

If you do wind up replacing it, we can make some suggestions of how to remove it. Looks like there are a couple of places where you can cut the pipe and install a union when you go back with it. On the left side you're going to have rebuild at least part of the plumbing for the new valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.