How to prevent algae when slowly filling pool

phnick

May 23, 2019
Hello, thanks in advance for your help.

We're draining our 16K gallon above ground pool and starting fresh with a salt water system. The process to fill the pool with our hose is going to take roughly 4-5 full days. It will take another day or so to get filter and SWG system running. We're really concerned that during this time period the pool will develop allergy in the fresh water as it fills and the sun beats down. Picture is the draining process...

Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Thanks! Nick

Attachments

• IMG_4110.JPG
    IMG_4110.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 0
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

One option is to float some tablets. Track how many so you can use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA you are added.

Or you could just add 2-3ppm of FC with bleach in the evening and stir it up with a brush.

I think the former is better as you are getting the CYA in the water and constantly adding the FC.

What test kit are you planning to use?
Are you familiar with our methods? Start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

OH!!! I should point out that if that liner is more than 1-2 years old, you should NOT!!! drain it completely. It will shrink and likely tear when you start to refill.
Leave at least a foot of water in it.

To eliminate the algae, follow the SLAM Process process.

Realistically, you probably didn't need to drain your water any water can be brought back to swimming quality. But too late now!

OH!!! I should point out that if that liner is more than 1-2 years old, you should NOT!!! drain it completely. It will shrink and likely tear when you start to refill.
Leave at least a foot of water in it.

To eliminate the algae, follow the SLAM Process process.
Thanks so much for the detailed response, we’ll check that out and be sure not to let the water go below 1 foot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.