How to hookup a MX6 suction pool cleaner to skimmer

poolschpool

Jun 12, 2019
Fremont, CA
Hello,
I have just bought a home with an old pool and I am planning to get a Zodiac MX6 suction cleaner and hook it up to the skimmer. There are no brand or size markings on the top lid of skimmer. The top lid is about 8.5 inches in diameter. Below the white basket are two holes. There is no other float. The text on the side says "main drain" and "both".

My questions are:
1. What equipment do I need to get to connect the MX6 to this skimmer.
2. Is there any generic leaf canister that can be used as well.
3. Should I need to check the motor size before I need to decide anything else.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. You can either use a skimmer plate that sits on top of the skimmer basket, or you would hook it up directly under the skimmer basket.
2. I would suggest you use a leaf canister even if you use the skimmer plate. I use the Zodiak one, I think it is called cyclone?
3. Any motor should be able to handle it

Usually if there are 2 open holes in the bottom of the skimmer, the one closest to the pool goes to the floor drain and the one furthest away goes to the pump. You would need to have a float diverter to force suction to come from the floor ... and you may need to plug the floor if you are using a skimmer plate (I am just not sure).

What does the plumbing look like going to your pump?

While I too just use a suction cleaner, the electric robots are far superior at cleaning if you can afford it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.