treyragno

Oct 21, 2017
Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
if I implement a chlorine hot tub using TFP principle, how do I go on vacation?

What do I do to be out of town for 1 week or even 2 weeks and not come back to a mess?

I’ve been avoiding a bromine hot tub as I expect kids to go between hot tub and chlorine pool. I heard this will put bromine in pool over time and I’ll have to drain pool to get back to chlorine. We have 3 kids and don’t want to drain the pool.

Anywhere they sell spa products. They are 1 inch diameter tablets/pucks, that fit in small floaters. They add CYA as well, so use sparingly or only when you are away. You need to experiment to determine dissolution rates in your spa and amounts needed.

Last edited:
Anywhere they sell spa products. They are 1 inch diameter tablets/pucks, that fit in small floaters. They add CYA as well, so use sparingly or only when you are away. You need to experiment to determine dissolution rates in your spa and amounts needed.
I’d they add CYA, why not use trichlor tablets, which are more readily available?

That’s a good question! It’s all about rates of dissolution, the trichlor might dissolve too quickly even at minimal setting on the floater, and add too much CYA. Since you have a pool, you can always put undissolved leftover trichlor pucks there. Normally, after a spa water replacement, you set the CYA level and then routinely use liquid bleach in the spa (i.e. Nitro’s method). My guess is dichlor is used by spa-only folks because the tablets are available in smaller quantities and CYA is more easily managed.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.