How to fun pump with spillover spa

maf528

May 16, 2017
Marlton, NJ
Just bought a new house over the winter with an inground pool and an attached spillover spa. The water can be pumped from either the pool or the spa. And the return can be directed to either the pool or the spa as well. The guy at the pool store said I can pull from the pool and return to the spa and let it spill over. Should I always leave it setup like this? Is that enough circulation for the pool itself?

Usually you will also have a couple of returns on the pool as well as the spill over. When you go into spa mode the spill over will stop and just filter the spa. You usually keep it in the pool/spill over mode until you want to use the spa. This is the typical setup but may vary.

maf,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new New Jersey pool owners... :snorkle:

The only problem with constantly running the Spa spillover is an increase in pH caused by aeration.

As long as your pH is good, then go for it.. It should not effect the pool circulation at all.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I only draw from the pool and I return about 20% to the spa and the rest to the pool returns. That has worked for me. The spa stays clear.

Don't try to balance the inflow/outflow to the spa. If the pool skimmer basket gets loaded up with leaves, the pump can start starving for water, so it pulls harder from the spa. Eventually you're pulling more from the spa then you're returning and at some point it will empty and start sucking air and the pump will lose prime. Run it dry long enough and you can damage it. I was lucky. I heard a funny noise when I stepped out to have a smoke and caught it before things melted down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.