How to figure out how much chlorine to start?

vrclay

May 22, 2020
Northern Virginia
We just put up our 18' x 48" Bestway pool. Y'all, it's actually level - worry #1, over. Next up - worry #2, chemicals. I think it's about 7600 gallons. I have a taylor test kit on the way but bought a cheap one at Home Depot until it arrives. We filled it with water Sunday and yesterday. I've tried use old TFP calculator. Started by adding 38 oz on 10% liquid chlorine last night. Ran the pump over night. This morning the rating was still 0 (no yellow color). I added 38 more oz. this morning. Ran the pump this afternoon. just checked chlorine again using the drops that turn yellow. No color. So I added the rest of the gallon (48 oz).

Was I supposed to add more at the beginning? I an so anxious about messing up and ending up with green water. Should I go to the pool store and ask them?

With no CYA to protect the chlorine from the sun, it will all disappear in about an hour. You don;t need to wait to test to add CYA as tap water will have none. Use poolmath to calculate the dose from zero and add it using the sock method.

If there's no skimmer to set it in, hang it in front of a return.

Stay out of the pool store!

With no CYA to protect the chlorine from the sun, it will all disappear in about an hour. You don;t need to wait to test to add CYA as tap water will have none. Use poolmath to calculate the dose from zero and add it using the sock method.

If there's no skimmer to set it in, hang it in front of a return.

Stay out of the pool store!
Thanks Richard. I'm way anxious about all the chemicals but at least my instinct about staying out of the pool store was on point.

Thanks Richard. I'm way anxious about all the chemicals but at least my instinct about staying out of the pool store was on point.
You're going to be amazed at how good your pool can look and how easy it really is. Once you have a test kit and can track things, after a couple weeks it will all make perfect sense. The water will be clear and sparkling, no smell, no red eyes, no dry skin. No expensive trips to the pool store. Your children will become pool snobs and refuse to get in others' pools because they smell or are cloudy.

We just put up our 18' x 48" Bestway pool. Y'all, it's actually level - worry #1, over. Next up - worry #2, chemicals. I think it's about 7600 gallons. I have a taylor test kit on the way but bought a cheap one at Home Depot until it arrives. We filled it with water Sunday and yesterday. I've tried use old TFP calculator. Started by adding 38 oz on 10% liquid chlorine last night. Ran the pump over night. This morning the rating was still 0 (no yellow color). I added 38 more oz. this morning. Ran the pump this afternoon. just checked chlorine again using the drops that turn yellow. No color. So I added the rest of the gallon (48 oz).

Was I supposed to add more at the beginning? I an so anxious about messing up and ending up with green water. Should I go to the pool store and ask them?
Welcome and hello!
Can you add your pool details to your signature? Thanks!

These are the chemicals you should have/keep on hand ~ Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool
Use these for safe levels of chemical in your pool ~ What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool

Once your test kit arrives (you don't have to do the CYA test unless you add stabilizer/conditioner), share your test results and you'll be on your way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.