How to convert swivel cuff hose to threaded PVC ?

Victor Newman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2014
Grants Pass, OR
Greetings. Been using the flat, roll out hose for back washing for years. It kinks, splits and is a hassle in a lot of ways. I wanted to cut the 2 inch PVC coming out of the filter and glue in either a male or female, 1 - 1/2 inch threaded fitting. Next, buy and connect a 25-30 foot flex hose that can be adapted to change the swivel cuff to a threaded fitting for my project. This hose will be left in place all the time, coiled up. Lastly, for back wash.....this will be led out to a buried 50 foot section of solid PVC to carry the backwash to the back 40. (Same area as for the flat hose)

Am I on the right track... or overthinking this ? Is there an existing hose with threaded fittings I can buy off the shelf ?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I'm baaaack. Went to local pool service/supply and talked about this. The swivel cuff vacuum hose was deemed inadequate for backwashing. It would leak or split. Maybe some hefty flex hose from hardware store is what I need. Can find an insert threaded fitting and use a hose clamp or two. ?

I never answered because I didn't know what kind of hose you wanted to use.

Pools are very low pressure so about anything will work. You can get threaded hose Barbs for about any hose.

A lot of people use a flat discharge hose like a fire hose but cheaper, rolls up better that a still hose.

Thanks for the replies. I was using a flat discharge hose. They leak and split. Water out looks like 50 gpm on high pump speed. Pool store told me ribbed vacuum hose will not stand up. Did not think about back washing using low pump speed. Think it will be OK and will the grids come clean using low speed ?

Pool_Medic.....did you not like my idea about gluing in a fitting ? BTW I am not much of a handyman. What is mpt.......male or mechanical. Is it NPT and tapered ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used an old ribbed vacuum hose for a backwash pipe for years, I think I just clamped it on to whatever was sticking out of the filter opening. (this was above ground, don't know that it makes any difference.) doing the same with leftover intex hoses now, used white duct tape to hold it into a 2 inch pvc pipe that continues on to where I want the water.

It’s pretty simple guys, visit and support your local pool stores for such items.

The mpt screws into the waste port of your filters, use 3-5 wrappings of thread tape to insure no leaks. One allows lay flat hose with hose clamps to be connected to it, the other allows pvc to be glued.

Attachments

• 9C3E7C53-8E49-4256-91C2-244D5F16D223.jpeg
    9C3E7C53-8E49-4256-91C2-244D5F16D223.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 64050D83-D71B-4D78-9FAD-0BF427245704.jpeg
    64050D83-D71B-4D78-9FAD-0BF427245704.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.