How to allocate flow from pool drain to skimmer

Blue Horse

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2015
Fremont, California 94539
I like to give more flow from pool drain to skimmer, while keeping the filter pump speed constant.

Looking at the plumbing photos attached, any suggestions?

In the 1st photo, the pump in the middle is the filter pump. It is fed by main drain+skimmer on the left side and the spa on the right side. 2nd photo shows cleaner pump, filter, and heater plumbing. 3rd photo is a view looking from between filter and heater.

Sorry if the photos are not oriented right - they are in the right orientation on my PC but somehow messed up after upload.

Attachments

• Filter Pump.jpg
    Filter Pump.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Heater side.jpg
    Heater side.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 24
  • Heater side_2.jpg
    Heater side_2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Richard320,

The dome closer to the white box of Chlorinator is gas heater, vs. the dome further away is the filter. I have one filter only.

I am attaching all 3 photos again in this post. In the first photo, the pipe circled in yellow is labeled with "Main Drain" and "Skimmer", the pipe circled in red labeled with "Spa Suction". The valve there switches between 100% pool only and 100% spa only. What I am looking for is where else I can change the flow distribution between main drain and skimmer.

Jimrahbe - where can I limit the flow into main drain? On the skimmer side, the only thing I did is to fully open that plastic "tongue" inside the skimmer, underneath the basket.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Filter Pump.jpg
    Filter Pump.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Heater side.jpg
    Heater side.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 8
  • Heater side_2.jpg
    Heater side_2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5
Okay, so main drain and skimmer are plumbed together.

Odds are, you have two open holes in the bottom of the skimmer. One goes to the pump, the other to the drain. There should be a device under the skimmer basket to adjust the flow. One is sort of cylindrical. the other looks like a flying saucer. This is how the flying saucer works. It seems contrary, but wide open means skimmer and closed means drain.

divertervalve-gif.139429

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.