How permeable is the mesh panel supposed to be on the safety cover?

doncaruana

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2011
Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool cover has a mesh panel running right down the middle of it's length (32 feet plus the stairs). However, yesterday I had to take a pump and put it out and pump water off of it. In the middle it's bad and no water goes through. On the ends, it seems to get through but verrrry slowly. When you clean these covers during the summer, do you need to do anything special to make sure that mesh lets water pass through? Or is this expected in its 9th year of use (I have a 10 year warranty on it, but it doesn't mention the mesh drain panel)

Are you sure that the mesh panel in the center is not sitting on top of the water? You sure you have an air gap between the cover and the water level?

Last edited:
There are usually two layers. The top layer is a larger mesh and the bottom layer is a finer mesh.

Pollen and other fine debris will go through the top layer and build up on the bottom layer.

The top layer is usually held down with Velcro. See if you can pull the top layer back and wash down the bottom layer.

Note that not all mesh panels have the velcro and the top might not come off.

I’m with Allen. You are pumping actual pool water in the center through the cover. It probably seems never ending because it kinda is. I have the 99% mesh and was studying it the other day after a good rain. It looked like it wasn’t draining 30 mins later but I could hear the drips one at a time. Like you see in the corners, it drains just really slow. If the center isn’t draining it’s probably sitting on the pool water.

It's not sitting on the water and I'm 100% positive there is an air gap between the cover and the water. The puddle in the middle has been there and growing. Once I pumped off the standing water, it's fine and dry. However, I poured about 16 ounces of water out there and it didn't go through.

Also, the mesh is sewn in and I don't see any velcro or anything, although I'll take another look. Didn't look like there were two layers when I checked earlier.

Is there still a gap when the cover is soaked ? My banjo tight cover sags a good 6-10 inches when it’s wet and heavy. Just a thought...

I poured about 16 ounces of water out there and it didn't go through.

mine takes between 15 and 30 minutes depending on how much water is on the cover to become wet enough to let the drips through and then it could very well take many hours to seep.

It's well above the water, although it really needs to be tightened. The water that was on it did not come from the pool. Of that I am 1000% positive.

Ok. Sorry. It’s usually the most common reason so we had to rule it out.

My next guess would have been with James but you don’t notice a doubled up area in the middle. Mine is only doubled up at the stairs and you can easily tell it is.

It's well above the water, although it really needs to be tightened. The water that was on it did not come from the pool. Of that I am 1000% positive.

I think the point mentioned above hit it - it's gotten gummed up over the years. And the feedback on the timing to drain helps as well. Thanks.

Reactions: Newdude
Did you try pulling up the edge to see if there is Velcro?

Do you have a picture?
I'll look closer tomorrow. Ran out of daylight and I was taking advantage of some warmer weather (46 here in the Detroit area) to get some other outside stuff done and some pre-decorations

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was taking advantage of some warmer weather (46 here in the Detroit area)
Lol i hear ya there. The highs this week are 40s and 50s and after that there are no promises so i'll be doing my decorations tomorrow. Today rained all day so tomorrow it is !

So here's a few pics. I took a can of compressed air out and pointed it at the mesh near the end and I could feel it on my hand right through. I had a company open and close for me and they were supposed to clean and store the cover. In the first pic, you can see the area that had all the water pooled in it and the stair gives you an idea of how big it was, going right over the drain panel. The second pic gives you an idea of how jacked the cover is - I expect that drain panel to be straight and can't think of a good reason why it would end up like that. The last picture is a shot at ground level to try and give some perspective of how deep that sag is. It's at least 5 or 6 inches, maybe more. The cover seems overall pretty loose to me compared to years prior. I watched them and they didn't do anything with the buckles at all - just put it right on without really checking to see if it was tight enough.

So I think there are two issues: 1) The cover is just not tight enough and there shouldn't be enough slack to sag that badly and 2) They didn't do a very good job of cleaning it and that drain panel is clogged.

Am I off base?

20191125_110859.jpg20191125_111041.jpg
20191125_110927.jpg

I think you got both points right. These covers are heavy when wet and even just an inch of play may sag them up to a foot. If the middle isn’t draining then it’s probably clogged/dirty. Some combo between the two and you are where you are.

I think you got both points right. These covers are heavy when wet and even just an inch of play may sag them up to a foot. If the middle isn’t draining then it’s probably clogged/dirty. Some combo between the two and you are where you are.

Thanks! And I'm extra bothered at how bad it is with it dry! It's worse when it's wet!

If it helps you any I do all my short straps first. Once they support most of the weight of the cover the long straps tighten much easier.

So...below is what my cover looks like now *after* the pool company that I pay to open and close for me AND clean and store my cover every year (the leaves gathered after the puddle was there - took a pic of that too). And here is what they said after that visit...I am LIVID!

"tightened the straps on the cover to try and get it to not sag in the middle. No water is on the cover. cover is also not going to get any tighter (duracover). cover is in good condition & secure. middle of the cover is mesh all the way end-to-end then the rest is solid. cover is okay if water is on top. Water level in pool is below skimmer level. cover is also clear of debris.

If water continues to sit on the cover in middle, keep pump on cover & pump accordingly."

My daughter and I are going to take Sunday (it will be almost 50 degrees here) and go out, pump the water off and take the hose and spray it directly into that mesh and hopefully dislodge whatever is blocking it. Guess who's going to have to start doing his openings and closings himself?

20191128_083259.jpg

Duct tape a 2nd handle to a push broom. It doesnt mater what kind of other handle, you just need the length. It can be the pool brush, rake, long shovel, etc. Use that to pull the leaves off the cover. Next, pump off whatever water is left. Then tighten all the straps that run through/near that area starting with the short ones.

Duct tape a 2nd handle to a push broom. It doesnt mater what kind of other handle, you just need the length. It can be the pool brush, rake, long shovel, etc. Use that to pull the leaves off the cover. Next, pump off whatever water is left. Then tighten all the straps that run through/near that area starting with the short ones.
I'll get it cleaned off - already did that once. I juts want that panel clean because the water should be draining. I haven't checked, but they are saying they are already tightened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.