DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
New pool started last Sept. I'm in DFW and kept the pool open thru the winter. So I'm totally new to this. This week with the heat wave was the first time my chlorine almost hit zero. So I thru a tab in the skimmer and turned up my SWG to 70% yesterday.
But I don't really know the increments to cleaning my Cell. What do you guys/gals do?
Anybody use the scale reducer Purple magic or anything to prevent scale?

There are two types of people that love ones that regularly throw tabs in the skimmer; those that replace equipment and those that replace skimmers. unless the pump runs 24/7 you are looking for problems.
When the pump is off, the tablet continues to dissolve and one of the first things that corrosive "soup' hits is the spring on the shaft seal. The acid will weaken it, cause it to leak, and by the time most people are aware of the leak it has, at best, ruined the front bearing in the motor.

Put enough tablets in a skimmer and the very-low pH solution will get through a filter to a heater. Copper heat exchangers are very expensive.

Each brand of SWG has a cleaning schedule recommended, but it is usually every 3 months for many. The proper way is also outlined in the manual, which are available online.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Along with the warning about tabs in teh skimmer, be sure to use our PoolMath APP and maintain a slightly negative CSI level. That should help to reduce or even prevent future scale build up.

Also I use the high pressure nozzle on my garden hose. I have a hooked wire for pieces the get stuck the plastic “grill”. I don’t use pool acid or vinegar for cleaning, ever.
The bottom line as Mr. Splash said is keep your numbers in line and less will stick to your plates.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thanks guys for the advice. I didn't really think about the neg affects of the skimmer tab. That was the first time I did that since the pool was built and I was running 24/7 after fill up. I kind of panicked with the low FC reading.
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the pool math and the app. I also need to get a better test kit.

Always Use liquid chlorine for a quick boost of fc.
Tabs & the swg are too slow to get u out of the danger zone quickly.
Always Follow the FC/CYA Levels
The Taylor k2006c + k1766 salt test available @various online retailers
or
The TF100/tfpro + salt
Available @ www.tftestkits.net
Are what u need.
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: pikeman
My problem is calcium buildup. It’s just a matter of time before I need to drain and refill. However, in the meantime keeping my saturation index close to neutral has resulted in success. Nice swimming, happy eyes, no itching, even the wife is happy. It’s all about the numbers!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.