How often do you need liquid chlorine?

Jsfry44

May 28, 2020
Kansas
I’m in the process of doing a partial dump due to idiotic use of floc and high CYA. I’ve read several of the articles and am curious about conversion from bags of shock to liquid chlorine. Right now I can purchase a gallon jug for $4.50 of 12.5% chlorine. Once my pool is balanced (not there yet!), how much liquid chlorine is usually needed per week? I tried to price lithium hypo but can’t find it anywhere.
Vinyl/ABG/17,200 Gallons.

You can expect to lose about 2-4ppm of FC a day in a balanced and clean pool. How much chlorine you use per day depends on how large your pool is. You could use PoolMath to figure out what 3ppm is in your pool, and that should give you some idea.

Reactions: Jsfry44
It depends... Swim load, UV rays etc. You will probably burn off between 2 to 4 ppm or so a day.
@ 17,200 gallon and with a cya of 40, 1 gallon will raise your FC by ~7.3 ppm.
So maybe between 1/4 and 1/2 gallon a day.

Reactions: Jsfry44
Over time by keeping track of conditions, swim load, and FC loss, you'll kind of get the feel for your pool. My pool usually does well with a gallon of chlorine every other day. Though I try to test daily to adjust as necessary. My CYA is high, so I have a little more leeway with higher FC and being safe to swim. But by the end of last year my LC additions and overall pool maintenance was a cinch because I knew within a couple of PPM what to expect with my pool due to weather conditions and swim load.

TLDR; keep detailed records of your testing results and chemical additions and you will start to have an instinct for what your pool needs.

It depends... Swim load, UV rays etc. You will probably burn off between 2 to 4 ppm or so a day.
@ 17,200 gallon and with a cya of 40, 1 gallon will raise your FC by ~7.3 ppm.
So maybe between 1/4 and 1/2 gallon a day.
Thanks- that helps. Ordered the test kit and should be here by Wednesday and then I’ll start trying to figure things out. I appreciate everyone’s replies!

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.