How often do you have to change out a vinyl pool liner?

You should get a minimum of 10 years our of a vinyl liner. My goal is 10 years then after that it's gravy (just my own expectations). My agp had 13 years on it when i sold the house and there was fading at the border but no other issues, no holes repaired, no drying/brittleness (it easily would have lasted 2 more years). New pool had for 6 years and patched 2 punctures due to dying tree dropping branches. Tree is gone I don't expect any issues. Who is telling you only 3-5 years? That's way, way to short a time. Asking to see if it's a fiberglass pool company. Good luck! :)

Im completing year 7 on my liner. The pattern on the bottom has slightly faded, but other than that, its in perfect condition. Keeping your water balanced is a big factor in how long a liner will last, and not to mention the quality of the liner.

We got 16 years out of our liner, and we only replaced it because it was getting ugly, the floor was almost white and the wall pattern was servery faded. We could have waited another few years till the liner failed.

My liner is 11 years old. It is at replacement time. Previous owners did not keep water balanced.
The liner is faded and has wrinkles on the floor from improper balancing.

-Bigpaws

The quality of liners varies quite a bit. It would be wise to spend the additional money when building to get the best liner available.
But short of trusting your builder, how does one know what's a better/worse liner? Is it all about thickness? Just curious.

My parents are still on their second liner in 35 years. :oops: Don't get me wrong, it looks AWFUL and is pulling out of the track in the corners, but hasn't dropped below the waterline and doesn't have any leaks so it's impressive nonetheless. I think they'll finally give in pretty soon.

My liner is 11 years old. It is at replacement time. Previous owners did not keep water balanced.
The liner is faded and has wrinkles on the floor from improper balancing.

-Bigpaws
You are correct, water balance is key to liner life, and it's one you have total control over. The other factor is exposure, direct sunlight causes the liner to fade quicker and lose flexibility, this is especially true in the corners, if the liner is improperly fit, and there are gaps between the liner and the pool wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My parents are still on their second liner in 35 years.

Nice!
I thought the last liner I had did extraordinary at 23 years but 35 wow!

Current liner is going on it's 5th year. I saw what I thought was sun fading starting 2 years ago. Only found out recently it's light iron staining. Put some crushed vitamin c in a sock and the liner still looks brand new. (Yay)

Nice!
I thought the last liner I had did extraordinary at 23 years but 35 wow!

Current liner is going on it's 5th year. I saw what I thought was sun fading starting 2 years ago. Only found out recently it's light iron staining. Put some crushed vitamin c in a sock and the liner still looks brand new. (Yay)
Oh wow if you're at 23 years on one liner, you win. They're on their 2nd in that 35 years. I think he said the first one made it 15 or 17 which would mean they're at 18 or 20 now on the current one.

Reactions: borjis
Both of mine lasted about 10 years with pool store advice for the first one and part of the second. I expect to get considerably longer life out of this one now that I'm managing the water.

First, is to find out who the liner manufacturer is, and do some research online.

Not all manufacturing techniques are equal.
The major thing about them is how the seams of the liners are welded, made to the correct dimensions, and the quality of the ink the pattern is prinnted from.

The better manufacturers have good processes and the dimensional tolerances are very good. Other "cheap" liners lack the same fit and finish.

The thickness really has nothing to do with the quality, but the thicker liners do up the price on them simply because of the increase in cost of the thicker material.

But short of trusting your builder, how does one know what's a better/worse liner? Is it all about thickness? Just curious.

Got 13 years out of our first liner. About half of those years were prior to finding TFP during which I'm sure I over chlorinated and blindly cared for our pool. We're on year 7 with the new liner and it still looks brand new and the vinyl is nice and soft. I'm hoping for 20+ on this one. 3-5 years does not sound accurate at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.