How much trouble am I in for?

jerseyrails

Jul 12, 2018
Marlboro, NJ
The contractor who was supposed to put concrete around my pool split with my money. Because I didn't have concrete last year as promised, my pool went uncovered last winter. I did get the pipes plugged before winter. It went unused this summer since we just had a baby and my oldest was away most of the summer. I've ordered a cover and some waterbags to cover it for THIS winter coming, but in the meantime, the pool is full of Crud that smells like a septic tank when I scoop it out, is very green, and I am certain has more than a few frogs calling it home. What's my best option for cleanup? I was already quoted $1800 to clean it out. I'm perfectly fine with draining the pool and refilling it, but should I do anything to the water before I cover it?

The pool is 16x32 and approximately 24,000 gallons as per the liner company.20191001_155145 - Copy (2).jpg20191001_155145 - Copy (2).jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Cover it up and deal with it in the Spring.

We have helped people clean up worse swamps then that. It will take time, patience, and a bunch of liquid chlorine following the SLAM Process.

jerseyrails

Jul 12, 2018
Marlboro, NJ

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
You can't drain without replacing the liner or at least putting a liner vac on it to keep it from losing the set.

Scoop out the solids as much as possible and then do a SLAM to clear the water.

A wet-vac won't be worth using.

jerseyrails

Jul 12, 2018
Marlboro, NJ
You can't drain without replacing the liner or at least putting a liner vac on it to keep it from losing the set.

Scoop out the solids as much as possible and then do a SLAM to clear the water.

A wet-vac won't be worth using.
Are those water-powered leaf vacuums any good? Between the smell and visibility, not sure how much I'll be able to get out before I cover it.