How much room is needed for the pool equipment pad?

mlggator

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2020
Carlsbad, CA
I am trying to decide where to place the pool equipment. Visually, and as far as being near the utilities, one side of my yard seems better, but the space on this side is way more limited. The other side of the house is far from utilities and will be visible from our conversation areas, but there is way more room.

I am reading that we need approximately a 4 x 8 pad. Can that be reduced? Can you do a 2 x 10 pad? Basically, how can you play with those dimensions? How narrow can you make the pad and still fit everything and have it function? Trying to figure out the best placement for my tiny yard.

Also we will have both a pool and spa with salt water system.

Thanks,

M,

You "can" cram all the equipment into a tiny little spot and make it work.. But then, someday, someone will have to work on it. I'll take a huge pad in an ugly place everyday of the week over a small cramped pad somewhere else..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Incidentally my pad is 4 x 8 and I'd say it's about right for my equipment - you don't list a heater but that takes up a good portion along with the filter. Add in a spa blower and an automation panel and you're starting to use up the space. You could also conceal your pool equipment if you surround it with a trellis screen and some flowering vines.

Jim is right, a larger pad with unions between each piece of major equipment will be much easier to work on than a small pad with everything crammed into a tight space. You can hide the equipment pad with a screen or some strategically placed plants.

So at that size, I think we have to do it on the bigger side. I could put it on the narrower side, but I would have to spread it out linearly. What do you think the minimal width would have to be if you could spread out length wise?

On one side I have about 4 feet in width and the other side has 8 feet of width. Both sides have lots of length.

I just measured. I have the electrical panel on a post, a spa blower, two pumps, one filter, and one heater crammed into a 40" by 9' space.

I would greatly prefer that I had a couple feet on the backside between equipment and house, and I also wish things had been stretched out to maybe twelve feet. That would allow more graceful plumbing.

For our house the gas and electric is on the narrow side of the house too, and to run all the way around the house would have been several thousand dollars extra. What we ended up negotiating was that everything be laid out in a longer equipment layout and instead of the plumbing coming in from the front of the pad it will all come in from the end closest to the pool. Also we went with the Pentair heater instead of Hayward because it is 6" smaller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For our house the gas and electric is on the narrow side of the house too, and to run all the way around the house would have been several thousand dollars extra. What we ended up negotiating was that everything be laid out in a longer equipment layout and instead of the plumbing coming in from the front of the pad it will all come in from the end closest to the pool. Also we went with the Pentair heater instead of Hayward because it is 6" smaller.
Can you tell me the dimensions of your pad? That is kinda what I was thinking might work; to run it longer and narrower. We are using Pentair equipment too. I have length to run it, but not width.

He did tell me that the only way he could do that was with specifically laying out the equipment all inline and only with the Pentair 400K heater. Our builder usually installs Hayward and that was going to be what we were planning to install but this saves us several thousand dollars, so it seemed like the way to go.

Also might be worth searching this forum for any pictures that will give you an idea of different layouts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.