How much over SLAM level before risking....?

Pauls234

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I guess the risk would be bleaching out the liner... going on vacation for a week and have a neighbor that can add a gallon of LC (6ppm) every 3rd day or so. But given testing error around cya and that I'm not having my neighbor test, just pouring, curious how concerned I should be if I end up above SLAM. At what point is it damaging in any way?

Also planning to leave a floater in with 3 pucks as insurance.

Cya has fallen down to 30ish so considering adding the equivalent of 5ppm and treating it as 40.

As a reference point I recently raised to 16 and exactly 72 hours later I was at 4 with no other additions. And I understand the daily loss from sun is on a % basis.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I would simply use the pucks and have the neighbor add a reasonable amount of bleach each day as a preventive measure. Resume the SLAM Process when you return. While an FC can slide slightly over the SLAM FC level briefly or by mistake, it's not something you want to do on purpose or to help make-up for time away. Plus, there are other aspects of the SLAM that require your attention that I'm sure the neighbor can't do for you anyways.

So enjoy your time away. The pool (and algae) will be there when you get back. :) Travel safe.

Thanks Pat, I didn't pose my question so clearly, so let me clarify.

I'm actually not in need of SLAM, just plan to raise to that level before I go, then have my neighbor add a gallon (6ppm) every 3rd day.

I don't have a sense for how much the pucks would add on a daily basis so my question is really about how concerned I should be, if at all, around the possibility that my FC level could go above SLAM with my neighbors additions.

I understand going above SLAM is not recommended and is generally inefficient, but wondering if there is an upper limit where it goes from wasteful to damaging?

Oh, gotcha! My mistake. In that case, only being gone a week you should do fine. Temps are up there, but the pucks will help. The added boost of LC by a neighbor will be extra insurance. As you already know, the elevated FC will burn-off quicker, but should still help keep you above the minimum.

We expect a pool to lose about 2.5-4 ppm of FC each day, and a little more when above the target zone. One gallon of 10% LC is almost 5 ppm in your pool. One 8 oz trichlor puck will add about 2.6 of FC and 1.6 of CYA. CYA is not an issue for you at this time, so you can toss 3-4 pucks in a floater if you wish. So if you go to SLAM level (12) as you walk out the door, then toss-in the floater, I suspect adding one gallon on about day 3 & perhaps day 6 of your trip should be plenty. If your pool gets some shade, your neighbor may only need to add one gallon mid-way through your vacation.

Reactions: frogabog
Ok, that's my plan, every 3rd day add a gallon (my LC is 12% so it will give me 6). Plus 3 in the floater for insurance.

No concern of inadvertently overshooting FC?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.